I finally got my greenhouse started

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Several years ago our original greenhouse was destroyed by a tornado and I have wanted to either rebuild it or build another. The old greenhouse is still sitting in a pile of rubble out behind a barn. The weeds and brush completely hide the pile of junk. I have wanted to make a new smaller one closer to the house for convenience.

Something got me motivated last week and I jumped into my new little project with both feet.

GEDC0963_zps878f3725.jpg

#1 This is the south side of a tool shed and it gets direct sunlight all winter and summer. So this is the place. The smaller lean-to on the left with the two windows is the rabbit shed where I usually have 3 does and 1 buck plus two grow-out cages for the young'uns. You can see one of my cold frames. I had better move it or I'll surely step into it.

GEDC0961_zpsd1c8fc57.jpg

#2 An old red oak stump that has been growing there since somewhere around 1981. The tornado that wiped out the old greenhouse also took the upper 3/4 of this oak tree. I had been using it for a table where I process the rabbits for the freezer or diner table. I had to cut the left side of the stump away to make room for the greenhouse wall.

GEDC0972_zpsb18bb2dd.jpg

#3 A 2"x8" treated lumber foundation is in place. There are 10 treated 2"x4" stakes driven into the ground around the inside of the foundation boards to hold them in place and to level the frame.

GEDC0976_zps18057420.jpg

#4 Some framing completed.

GEDC0982_zps50ded930.jpg

#5 Framing completed and some clear plastic panels installed.

GEDC0999_zps9037e964.jpg

#6 Exterior completed except for a galvanized steel flashing at the roof/wall juncture.

I plan to fill the foundation with straw so I don't have to work in the mud. I also have some work to do on the ends above the doors for ventilation windows.

Whacha think so far?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it looks great Smiles! Boy, it sure didn't take you long to decide to do it and then get it done. DH and I were just discussing different possibilities and locations for a green house this afternoon. Yours is very inspiring. :)

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That looks great. I love that the oak stump is incorporated into the greenhoue. You will get lots of use from as a table for years.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Looks awesome!! I can't tell from the pics, did you use the clear panels for the roof as well, or something different? My husband wants to put a clear panel roof on our homemade greenhouse, but ours is pretty flat...kinda worried about how they would work up there.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is cool as anything! I really like it. I'm very curious to hear how the panels hold up over time. Regardless its a very cool structure to get things rolling for ya.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nicely done!! That is going to work out great! Can't wait to see all the wonderful things you grow in there....

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The roof panels are translucent white acrylic polymer (Lexan) corrugated sheets. 26"x96"
The walls and doors are clear acrylic sheets.

This acrylic polimer is what the bullet-proof windows are made of at the drive-up teller's station at the banks. It is extremely tough and extremely expensive. Each sheet was $24 and I purchased 18 sheets. $432 for the plastic and $90 for the wood. Acrylic is about 7 times stronger than fiberglass. I have lots of experience with acrylic in my previous life and I figured that if I'm going to make this thing I would make it to stick around for a while.

I'm not sure what kind of potting tables to use. I want the shelving surface to be screen or wire so that I can space the starting cups to allow sunlight to make it down to the next level. I may just use one wire shelf along the front wall and one along the back wall. If you have ever noticed, commercial greenhouses usually only have one surface for plants to grow upon. A stacked arrangement would create too much shade for the lower shelves.

I also plan to cover the old tool shed wall with black 5 qt. motor oil plastic bottles. These bottles are about 9"w x 12" tall x 3" deep and they will completely cover the wall inside the greenhouse. I'll fill the jugs with a water/alcohol solution (for freeze protection) and when the sun is bright the jugs will absorb heat and at night they will radiate the stored heat.

At least it sounds good. :/