I finally got my greenhouse started

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks like it will have 2 doors, that will give you good ventilation it seems. I think your thermal mass on the back wall is an excellent idea. I can't wait for you to start growing stuff! We want you to give us lots of reports and pix!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great looking greenhouse! You will really enjoy it. Be sure to post pics of what you grow in there for all of us to see!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Smiles, you did good!

That 1st picture . . . I read about your greenhouse history & decision to get started on "a smaller one," then scrolled down to look at the picture. I thought you were jiving us! There was just a tiny cold frame!

Then you said you had to move the cold frame outta the way. And . . . a greenhouse grew!

I'm sure that it will be a great resource for you! (The cold frame should come in handy, too ;).)

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks great. I'm envious! I wish I had a place for a greenhouse right close to the backdoor, but the back faces north, so it's almost always shady. I guess I could add a small one to the chicken house...:p
My DH just cringes when I start thinking like this; means more work for him.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Very nice, you'll enjoy the dickens out of it.
I'd put a couple of shelves on the back wall, they won't shade any of the rest of your plants. Maybe make them fairly deep and use them to set you jugs of water on.

THANX RICH

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
dickiebird said:
. . . I'd put a couple of shelves on the back wall, they won't shade any of the rest of your plants. Maybe make them fairly deep and use them to set you jugs of water on. THANX RICH
Yeah I like your idea about putting the water jugs on shelves. I had originally intended to stack the jugs on top of one another but to expect the bottom rows to support the upper rows full of water may be expecting too much. If I build about 8 rows of shallow shelves I can fill each shelf with full jugs and the weight would be carried on the shelves and not the jugs. Hmmmmm. I like it.

I have been visiting automotive and truck repair shops to see if they would save their jugs for me and have met with limited success. Most places don't want to bother with me. And the bigger businesses do not handle their liquids in small jugs, they usually have 55 gal. drums. We live in a very rural area and these places are few.

I have also tossed around the idea of using 96" downspout lengths to cover the back wall. I may be able to seal a cap on the bottoms to hold the liquid and a removable cap on each top to minimize evaporation. But it would take about 34 downspouts to cover that wall and I have already overspent my budget.

For the floor I plan to put down plastic sheeting to stop weed growth and put about 6" to 8" of chopped straw on top. This will provide a dry flooring and the packed straw will be a good insulator for winter use. And a soft floor for my little tootsies. Little? Yeah right!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
A suggestion... I would consider using the 2.5" diameter , thick walled PVC pipe ( comes in 20" lenghts, purchased from an irrigation supply or big box store) , cut to fit floor to ceiling, glue a end cap on the bottom, fill with water and antifreeze ( to your recomended cllimate zone ) to about 90% capacity, and install a end cap on top. spray paint it black. Line the back wall in vertical pipe ( no shelving reuired, just use baleing wire to secure to the shed wall) and wala, a thermal wall in little space. Have fun ! :watering

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awesome greenhouse, Smiles!! Are you sure its big enough? ;) I thought mine would be, but I'm already wishing mine was twice the size!

(I envy people that can build things)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
Awesome greenhouse, Smiles!! Are you sure its big enough?
Yup! Size does matter. . . . . . . .

. . . . . . in greenhouses and chicken coops for sure! All mine were too small before the last nail was set.

Love, holly, jolly, Smart Red

Latest posts