I finally got my greenhouse started

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
Southern Gardener said:
Awesome greenhouse, Smiles!! Are you sure its big enough?
Yup! Size does matter. . .in greenhouses and chicken coops for sure! All mine were too small before the last nail was set. Love, holly, jolly, Smart Red
I've considered that but our last greenhouse was 40'x20' and we only used about 1/4 of it. I was a lot younger then and momma could get around, too. So maybe the location of the old greenhouse had something to do with our lack of use. That big greenhouse was here 34 years ago when we moved to this part of the country and we were told that the previous owners used two greenhouses like that for tobacco starts. They had two 40'x20' greenhouses side-by-side back there and the foundation for the one that has been gone for many years is still out there.

I'm glad I had good weather last week during construction.

GEDC1003_zps3eff360b.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
With a closed door,

in anything but sub-zero weather, and

with 20 minutes of sunshine:

That snow will be gone!

Steve :cool:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just need a wood pile outside and it would be perfect scene. NICE WORK.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks great. I am envious! How long did it take you to get it to the present stage? How many hours of work, that is.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
That looks great. I am envious! How long did it take you to get it to the present stage? How many hours of work, that is.
Let's see now . . .

I hacked around on that dang stump for 3 hours one day. Ruined two chainsaw chains on the steel shed siding.

The framing about 7 hours.

The plastic siding two days about 3 hours each day. The acrylic plastic is tough stuff and it's sometimes hard to get the screws through it.

I built the doors and installed them in about 2 hours.

I'm guessing about 18 hours all totaled. It takes a little longer than one would think when you work alone.

Once in a while someone will ask if I want help on my little projects and I usually say no. Unless it's the only way the job will get done. The reason I usually turn down help is that I like to work alone and I like to take frequent breaks. Sometimes I'll only work 2 hours and then go for a walk with the dogs for 2 hours. Or sometimes I'll work on one project for a while and jump over to a different project for a while. I have to stop, sit down, and to talk to the chickens when they stroll by. Oh yeah, afternoon nap time sneaks up on me once in a while, too. My kind of work schedule would drive a helper crazy.

Life is too much fun to get in a big hurry. I rushed around in a pressure cooker for 45 years in my profession and I made a pledge to myself at retirement to never get in a hurry again. So far I've done pretty good on my pledge.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like your work ethic is just fine. So around 18 hours of work. I'm just trying to figure out how long it would take my DH. He stops and re-measures and re-thinks and re-plans so many times, bless his heart.... I'm thinking about 45 hours.:rolleyes:

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Sounds like your work ethic is just fine. So around 18 hours of work. I'm just trying to figure out how long it would take my DH. He stops and re-measures and re-thinks and re-plans so many times, bless his heart.... I'm thinking about 45 hours.:rolleyes:
Oh quit it. He probably does excellent work. You know the old saying - 'measure twice, cut once'.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, he does do excellent work. My chicken house and yard is the envy of the neighborhood. I have had strangers pull off the highway and ask to look at it. I'm just sayin'....he tends to get a little anxious about making it perfect. Not a bad trait to have, overall. Today is our 20th anniversary, BTW. Fortunately he doesn't demand the same level of excellency in me that he does for other things!;)

Latest posts