i found homeless report oddly encouraging

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just a little ...

My feeling was that the homeless on our streets are so obvious. I'm surprised that there are not more of them. Declining numbers are a good thing.

http://t.co/l4MvjB8RQo

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
In our little town, we don't have homeless, we just have town characters. Elvis lives here and stands on "his" street corner, honk and wave and he will wave and give a few "Elvis moves"!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to live in a town like that as a kid.

There was a goofy guy who talked to himself and always wore a black fedora.

It wasn't until I went back as an adult that I learned he slept under a bridge. About 10 years since I first saw him must have been 10 years of sleeping under the bridge over Bear Creek.

Steve

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Plenty of homeless people here, they stand at the street corners with signs begging for money. People who are perfectly well-off have learned to take advantage of this and disguise themselves as homeless though. :\

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Several years ago, I had to take the interstate to get to work. There were always folks at the off ramps with signs. I started carrying nabs (6-pac crackers) and cases of sodas with me thinking that I could at least offer them something. Sometimes it was welcomed and sometimes it was refused.
I just figure that it's my responsibility to offer to help. I have no controle over their reaction.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a good idea, Cane. If they are truly hungry, they will take the handout of food. If not, well...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shocking to read that one in four homeless are children.
I wonder what the criteria for "homeless" is? Does it mean you are living with a friend or relative, or sleeping in your car? Or under the bridge?
A few years back, when the government wanted to show that there were fewer people living in poverty than before, they just changed the measure for poverty. Is that what's happening here, I wonder?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
we have a whole collection of homeless by my work. Some of them are mentally unstable and will attack with rocks and sticks if you get too close. The rest are all very endearing and I'd take them all in if I could. One fellow offered me his sweater on a cold day even though I knew it was all he had. Another will sit and talk with me if I bring coffee.

this economy has put a lot of people out on the streets. I sincerely hope its true there are fewer people without a place to call home

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I still think it strange when folks walk along holding a loud conversation by themselves . . . . . .

. . . . . .but now it's usually with a cell phone!

Have you had that mortifying conversation in the bathroom - you know, the one where you are in there and someone walks in and says something like "Hi, how's your day going?" and you answer them and they say something that doesn't make sense and you try to answer them again and the conversation is getting weirder and weirder and then you realize that they aren't talking to you, they are on their cell (and probably thinking that you are having one of those weird, out loud conversations with yourself)
...... not that that has ever happend to me (more than twice....)
hanghead[1].gif
sEm_blush7.gif

Latest posts