Incubating ducks and chicken eggs together?

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, my friend gave us a styrofoam still air incubator because she got a new one. :weee

So... I was talking on my barnyard group how I had the idea of putting duck eggs in the bator, and then 7 days later pop in some chicken eggs. I was told that you couldn't do that because the humidity had to be higher for duck eggs and the chicken eggs would drown... but when I asked my friend about hatching them together, she said she had done it before and that it shouldn't be a problem??? Am I missing something? Can you or can you not hatch them together?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't think there is much difference with the humidity while they are first developing. but i think towards the end there might be some slight differences. i know chickens hatch duck eggs all the time so there might not be much difference after all!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's what I thought too... how can there be such a huge difference in how they hatch them in the wild?! LOL

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
nothing really... my neighbor wants me to incubate some eggs for her too... I would hate to drop them all in the bator and none of them hatch! LOL

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Woohooo!!!!!

We have an "expert" in our group (she's not REALLY an expert, but the most experienced of the group... LOL) and SHE said that you TOTALLY can incubate them together and gave me instructions on how to do it!

YAY!!!! So in about a month... I should have some baby duck and chick pictures to share with you all!! :D

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
good luck! i hope you have a very good hatch! i'd love to have a pair of ducks for my pond i want to put in. but i know how messy they can be. so for now i'll stick with my chickies! :p

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hay Nacho, you'll have to add all of them to your signature too! Might want to make sure they all have short names!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Haha! Wel... I'm pretty sure that all of these would be meat birds... but you never know :p

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What kind of meat ducks? Scovies, Appleyards, Pekins, Mulards? Serve up with a side of whipped potatoes, grilled asparagus and whole mushrooms, and a side of cherry chutney paired that with a Pino Noir :drool

Who's bringing dessert? :lol:

Latest posts