Incubating ducks and chicken eggs together?

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
After they hatch together and start running around together, will the baby duckies start sounding like chickens, and the baby chickies start quacking?

Will the baby duckies lead the baby chickies into the water for a graceful swim, and will the baby chickies teach the baby duckies to grow up to crow like proper roosters, and to peck at each other in a proper pecking order, and not too much?
Funny you should say that because I raised a goose with chickens and YES the chickens were honking more than clucking and they would go forage with the goose eating more grass than anything. haha

LifeisGood33

Sprout
Reaction score
I realize that this is an old post but we are doing this for the 1st time this next week. May I ask how it turned out?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I realize that this is an old post but we are doing this for the 1st time this next week. May I ask how it turned out?

I don't know about ducks with chickens, but I've heard of it done with turkeys. It's supposed to help the turkey poults learn to eat and drink better (they're slow to catch on) if they have a chick raised with them. I don't see what it could hurt. The incubation period may be different, but there's a week longer on turkeys than chicks as well and you just put the chick eggs in later so they'll hatch out together.

Have you tried asking over on BYC? I'm sure you could get a concrete answer from someone over there.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've hatched turkey and chicken eggs together, I just started the turkey eggs a week early and they hatched together. I've never hatched duck eggs but I've read you use a higher humidity with duck eggs or mist them. Also Muscovy duck eggs take 35 days to hatch, not 28 days like other ducks.

Latest posts