... last time I try to be nice.... (rant)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
We found out on Monday that we going to be working regular hours on Labor Day.
Now, for me, that's not a bad thing. Almost none of our customers will be open so it's going to be a S L O W day in the scalehouse - and it's the first, which is a crazy busy day for me with all the accouting month-end-close stuff. So I'm happy to have a whole day to focus on the accounting stuff AND get paid double time to do it.
But everyone else has been whining and crying about it. So I suggested that we drag the grill down from the office, I'll pick up some hotdogs and everyone can bring sides. We'll have a cookout during lunches. Everyone thought that was a great idea.
I contacted the boss to let him know, he agreed that it was a good idea and said that the company will provide the food.
Thinking that it would lessen some of the whining about how terrible the boss is, I told everyone that they don't have to bring anything at all, just enjoy the cookout.
Well - suddenly - hotdogs won't do at all, it must be steaks. The guy who was going to grill has announced "I ain't grillin nuthin! I'm not gonna be the only one workin!"
Which got the reply from me, 'That's fine, I'll do the grilling. But if you want edible grilled food, it's going to have to be something I can walk away from when a truck comes and not ruin." So hotdogs went back on the menu. But it HAS to be a particular brand or no one's goign to eat them. And the sides have to be just so - this brand of that and that flavor of this. This morning I found a list of everyone's favorite sodas....
So a simple 'lets make the best of it' cook out has turned into:
*I go shopping on Sunday for all this special-ordered-crap - and haul it in Monday morning
*With almost no customers, everyone else will be sitting with nothing to do all day - but I have to stop my work to start the grill, and do the cooking through 2 lunch sessions
*and have to process the expense of the whole thing during my 'crazy-busy' month end close stuff, that I'm going to be behind on so that I can provide this little treat for everyone else.

One day I'm going to finally learn that my co-workers are not particularly nice folks.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Ungrateful is not the word... :hugs

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, can't back out without being 'the bad guy'. This isn't the first time this has happened - but I'm hoping that I've finally learned my lesson and it will be the last.
For Thanksgiving and Christmas the boss asked me to pick up $25 gift cards for each employee to be given out at each holiday. They compained that $25 wasn't much of a gift from a big company....
Once a month we have safety meetings and instead of having everyone wait and do the lunch shifts after the meeting, he provides lunch (usually pizza) and pays us for the lunch hour. They complain that they're tired of pizza. So he asks me to take orders for anything they want from the pizza/sub shop in town. They all order the same sandwich - every time - and compalin about it (during their paid lunch, with free food).
Nothing is ever enough. There is never a reason to say 'thank you'. It's that whole 'entitlement' attitude. Very sad.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
People! Once boss said, he'd pay for food, I'd have bought what I liked. Told the complainers, to go eat their own lunch!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They sound like a bunch of spoiled brats. If I were you, I'd do a Little Red Hen and say well, you don't help, so... Cheers! :smack And don't feel bad about it afterwards!

happy acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'd do the same! They are going to complain no matter what, so I'd just get what I wanted, and if the others want something different, or special, they can bring their own crap! You were not put on this earth to be their whipping boy! If the others complained, I'd say "It's a free meal,you don't want it, don't eat it. "

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
So I guess you are going to have to single-handedly clean up the mess and take care of the left overs, too? Maybe you can come down with a convenient illness on Monday morning. Maybe just a really sore wrist, where you can't lift or carry anything. (Although, the times in the past that I have invented an excuse like that, I actually did get sick afterwards)

Latest posts