Lavender

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm researching lavender and have found out there are tons of different kinds. I didn't know this. I'm looking for some to use in soaps and shampoos and that I can keep alive through the winter. Any suggestions?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hidcote and Munstead are two that seem to be fairly hardy, and have a great smell. And are pretty. I have read that French Lavender, oddly enough, is not particularly attractive.
If you can, buy plants from a local grower, not from a chain store. You may find some at a farmers market that was grown locally. I had better luck with that than I have had with "mass produced and shipped to your store" plants.

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I found a place online that specializes in lavender but, got very overwhelmed with all the different types and how many I should buy. I'll research those two you (@so lucky ) mentioned and see what I find out. Thank you for the information!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I purchased mine from a local guy- and it never came back either, Nyboy. The photo of that lavender field in your "bucket list" post, sure makes me want to try again!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if that photo is Provence lavender. Makes sense that it would be. But I don't think Provence has the same weather variations as we do here.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lavenders are climate sensitive so you have to plant the right variety for you area. They don't like too much water, good drainage, and full sun is the best.
When I lived in a dry warm climate I had Spanish lavender which was a fun type with its crazy loopy blooms. I have a lavender that's been in the garden for many years but I don't know the variety.

I agree with So Lucky, Hidcote is a pretty good choice for hardiness.

Where's @Lavender2 ? Seems natural that she would have some ideas. ;)

Latest posts