Learned Something New About My Stove

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night a friend wanted to cut up a watermelon, he asked where my cutting board was. He I said in the drawer in stove he looked at me strange. When he opened the drawer and saw the contents he said, that's not a drawer its a broiler. I though it very good design to have storage for pots and pans in stove it's self.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let's see ... Planked Salmon?

Otherwise, I don't know the value of putting wood in a modern kitchen stove. (Assuming your cutting board is wood.)

I have put wood in a cast iron kitchen stove. It didn't have a broiler ... might as well not have had an oven, as much trouble as I had using it!

Safety First! Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mom's electric range had a pot and pan drawer in the bottom.
I say if you want to use it as a drawer, use it! (As long as it doesn't get real hot when the oven is on, and you don't store plastic in it) (added to say yeah, it wouldn't do a wooden cutting board any good, either)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night a friend wanted to cut up a watermelon, he asked where my cutting board was. He I said in the drawer in stove he looked at me strange. When he opened the drawer and saw the contents he said, that's not a drawer its a broiler. I though it very good design to have storage for pots and pans in stove it's self.
My stoves have all had them-hardly used- a big pain to clean. My new stove has a warming oven. I use it to store pots but also to keep things warm for a big party.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wood-burning cast iron kitchen stove had warming ovens!

I remember that I kept my stovetop waffle maker in there :).

My little stovetop oven might have been up there, too. I used it a lot - for cornbread.

:) Steve
who uses the current oven to store big pots, these days

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A little OT but...do any of you have a range with a steam clean oven? What a disappointment they are, they're as useless as t*ts on a bull. When my last range went belly up, it was a self clean I (couldn't get the front element to turn off, besides that, using the self clean feature bits of the finish in the oven flaked off).

I was talked into getting one of these supposedly wonderful new steam clean ovens, aaarrrggghhhh.

I couldn't wait to try out this new feature so the first time I used the oven I put it through the steam clean function. There was only two or three little spots and this new steam clean feature didn't even budge them. You can't even use Easy Off oven cleaner in these ovens as they have a special finish on them which EO will wreck.

I'm just about ready to throw this sucker out the window. There's other things about this new stove that drive me up the wall, like the switches for all the elements are different, some you turn to the left to put it on high, the others you turn to right to put on high, that's not the worst of it, all the switches are opposite to what they were a on any other range I've had, I have to stop and think which switch controls which element every time I turn the d*mn thing on or off. After 60 years of doing it the same way, it becomes an unconscious habit. The only thing I like about this model is the glass top is really easy to clean and I can bake cookies in the oven without burning the bottoms.

My next electric range is going to be as basic as I can get it, I would like a glass top but I want a manually clean oven, one I can spray with oven cleaner, leave it over night and wipe out the next morning. They can keep all the extra features and shove them where the sun don't shine.

There, I finished my little vent, feel so much better now. I have a list as long as your arm as to what the next stove must and must not have, and why don't the make all ranges where the oven door slips off for easy cleaning, the first range I had in this house had this, such a great feature, this range lasted 21 years. Since then it seems I have to buy a new range every 5 or 6 years, they sure don't make them like they used to. My grandmother didn't have all these problems with her old wood burning stove.

Annette

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems like the more bells and whistles appliances have, the shorter their lifespan. After 18 months, my water dispenser would freeze and water wouldn't come out. They came out twice to fix it only for it to break down again. I got tired of fighting them and asking for a new fridge. So now I just get water from the sink, which is fine.

Mary

Latest posts