Light frost, cold night for tomatoes

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is going to get down to 35F tonight, and 36F tomorrow night. I have 21 smallish tomato plants in the ground. How bad of a hit will those temps be for them?...and what do I need to cover them with? This is rediculous weather for South Carolina .........winter can go away now. :barnie

I have some 2 liter plastic soda bottles to cut in half for them, but not near enough. I am looking for other ideas .....

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blankets, cardboard cylinders, canning jars, plastic baggies, grocery bags, (paper or plastic) even tin cans may help to keep the heat of the soil near the plants. I've seen the wide stretch of frost advisories sweeping across the southern U.S. It is a terrible problem to have once everything has started spring growth.

I wish you luck and warmth.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks Red! I do appreciate the advice. I never got to plant gardens in the midwest, where I am originally from, so this is all new to me. This frost in April thing.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got you beat moxies!!!! It's flipping snowing up here!!! Not sticking but still snowing! Not very nice for the plants that have buds on them :( I just planted 2 new roses Saturday.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to cover my blueberry bushes with a row cover of clear plastic sheeting tonight and plug in a 250-watt brooder lamp, clipped onto the hoops beneath it. Supposed to get down to 24 degrees here tonight! Seems like everything took a mind to start blooming the past day or two. Very unfortunate timing.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes..it sure is bad timing. I found a whole stack of empty plastic pots...the kind that stores sell plants in...and tipped them up end over the tomato plants. We are looking at 2 nights...I hope the forecast changes.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
If these low temps are affecting us, what is it doing to the large fields where much of our food is grown? Better grow a little more than you planned on. Something to think on.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes..it sure is bad timing. I found a whole stack of empty plastic pots...the kind that stores sell plants in...and tipped them up end over the tomato plants. We are looking at 2 nights...I hope the forecast changes.

Careful with the pots, @moxies_chickienuggets . They have holes in the bottom.

Many of the tomatoes under the pots were frosted and some died. The taller plants, pushed up against the plastic in some of the shorter buckets, were also damaged.

a few years ago

Steve

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had hail.
Last year, after 2 sudden frosts, I used hay and bed sheets to protect the plants for the 3rd frost.
This year nothing is in the ground besides the front lawn plants, evergreen shrubs who should be able to handle -20F. Didn't cover them.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It didn't get down to 32 or lower last night. More like 36 here. I'll just have to wait and see what happens with them. Thanks for all your help!
Oh, I only ended up using very few pots. And I have a whole fresh flat of seedlings in the potting shed. They are only 2" high so far

Latest posts