1. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Little bunny foo foo!

Discussion in 'Gardening With Animals' started by nachoqtpie, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Jan 21, 2013
    nachoqtpie

nachoqtpie Deeply Rooted

So, it's happening! We're getting 2 pairs of meat rabbits on the 1st! One of the ladies in my local barnyard fb group is moving so she's getting rid of all her buns. We're getting a pair of Californian so and a pair of New Zelands for $8 each! They're currently 6 weeks old. We've got a while before breeding age, but we will be sure to spoil them between now and then! :D
    We've already decided on names. Barney and Marshall for the boys and Robin and Lily for the girls. We're fans of How I Met Your Mother... Lol I will be sure to post pictures when we get them! :)

ETA: I guess I should be more clear. We're going to use these as our foundation stock... not for eating... Hehe
  2. Jan 21, 2013
    SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Garden Ornament

3. Jan 21, 2013
    lesa

lesa Garden Addicted

I will be very interested in hearing about this... It seems to me that meat rabbits are the perfect "farm" animal, for food. Don't need land, don't make noise...Keep us posted!
  4. Jan 21, 2013
    nachoqtpie

nachoqtpie Deeply Rooted

I will be sure to keep everyone posted! :)
  5. Jan 21, 2013
    Jared77

Jared77 Deeply Rooted

6. Jan 21, 2013
    seedcorn

seedcorn Deeply Rooted

Interesting. I eat rabbit because I like the flavor. Here it turns out to be a health food, who would have thought it?

Very funny, posters saying you would starve to death eating rabbit........
  7. Jan 21, 2013
    Jared77

Jared77 Deeply Rooted

If you tried to live on any one thing sure you'd starve to death. I also think they are talking about wild rabbits. No its as close to a "super food" as a protein's gonna get.
  8. Jan 21, 2013
    marshallsmyth

marshallsmyth Garden Addicted

Hay Nacho!!!

Your Rabbit named Marshall is a Breeder, and MOST DEFINITELY NOT FOR FOOD!!!

Just wanted to make sure you know that! He'll sire the best rabbits in the world, and every one of them will win county fair and state fair awards! Folks from around the world will pay you lots to have Marshall the stud rabbit breed their rabbits!

People will want Marshall to breed with their broken reds in order to repair them! He will have especially great offspring when bred with Angoras. Marshall will pass excellent genes when bred with chocolates, and of course that will make the Cadbury bunny very jealous, but too bad! :p
  9. Jan 21, 2013
    hoodat

hoodat Deeply Rooted

Welcome to the bunny world. I just finished making a large growout cage for my meat rabbits. You'll save yourself a lot of scratches if you spend time getting your breeders socialized. The more you handle them the easier on both you and the bunrabs.
  10. Jan 22, 2013
    nachoqtpie

nachoqtpie Deeply Rooted

Marshall :lol: too funny!

Hoody, they are 6 weeks right now, so I'm hoping there will be lots of time to get them used to being handled before breeding time comes. :) If I'm understanding her correctly she handles them regularly. She says she spoils them with cherries and apples and carrots. We're thinking of building a large roof and covering the sides with lattice it usually doesn't get too terribly cold, but we will probably get some canvas or something similar to hang on the sides just in case. :D