Little bunny foo foo!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cold is sedom a problem with rabbits. They just grow a heavier coat of fur in cold weather. What you have to guard against is wet. Wet rabbits get sick fast. Just be sure you have a good roof over the cages and take precautions that the wind will not blow rain into them. Heat is a much greater enemy so you have to keep them as cool as possible in hot weather. Rabbits will die of heat stroke if they get too hot. most of my cages are on the North wall of my house so they get shade all day.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Interesting. I eat rabbit because I like the flavor. Here it turns out to be a health food, who would have thought it?

Very funny, posters saying you would starve to death eating rabbit........
Rabbit starvation is a well known medical fact. We need a certain amount of fat to digest protein and wild rabbit meat has little or no fat. The condition was first observed during the gold rush when the miners tried to live on nothing but rabbit which was very abundant in that area. It is easily cured by eating the fat from other animals occasionally. The Indians were well aware of the problem and the cure but as usual the white miners refused to take the advice of those "ignorant savages". It isn't likely modern man will try to live on nothing but rabbit as a source of protein. Because we usually get too much fat in a modern diet rabbit starvation is no longer a problem. Other than that rabbit is the healthiest meat of any domestic animal; high in protein when combined with a bit of fat from other sources and rich in zinc and other dietary minerals and vitamins.
Fat in butchered domestic rabbits is normally stripped out in butchering since it doesn't taste very good. It renders out into something more like an oil than a fat. Most of the fat will be clustered around the internal organs with one thin strip on either side of the back. The muscle meat itself never has fat in it like pork or beef. After being chilled in the refrigerator the fat is easily stripped out with just your fingers.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
...all I ask is...never eat a Rabbit named...

Marshall!

:th

Any Rabbit named Marshall is a breeder!

...and an excellent one!

:bouquet

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, we are Looking at building a very simple enclosure. Basically it's a roof, some beams to hold the roof up, and the sides covered by lattice. We got the idea from the Storeys book about rabbits. I was thinking that maybe we could get some canvas or tarps and if the weather was going to get bad to roll the sides down to keep the rain out. Thoughts??

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use the bamboo screening but in my area it's mostly to protect from the sun in hot weather.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, we want to plant some vining plants around it so that it will provide more shade. Problem is, we need to figure something that will vine, but won't harm the chickens! We do have a LOT of honeysuckle on the back fence, and I was thinking of letting that grow on the sides. Good idea or bad idea?

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Hay Nacho!!!

Your Rabbit named Marshall is a Breeder, and MOST DEFINITELY NOT FOR FOOD!!!

Just wanted to make sure you know that! He'll sire the best rabbits in the world, and every one of them will win county fair and state fair awards! Folks from around the world will pay you lots to have Marshall the stud rabbit breed their rabbits!

People will want Marshall to breed with their broken reds in order to repair them! He will have especially great offspring when bred with Angoras. Marshall will pass excellent genes when bred with chocolates, and of course that will make the Cadbury bunny very jealous, but too bad! :p
Does this mean if I breed Annabelle with Marshall her ear will grow back?!:ep

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
As a multi recessive for missing ear and compound dominants for both full ears, all Annabelle and Marshall's babies will have 2 good ears. In fact, only one of 64 will even carry one of the recessive genes, and only one in 1056 would carry 2 of the 4 recessive genes necessary to all be there to have one missing ear.

So Ninny, luckily Marshall's progeny will also all have both intact ears. They will also have extra large brains, and cute little brow ridges that will melt the hearts of Rabbit show judges worldwide, and they will have extra dense fur. They will then become champion Rabbit show lineage and dynasty founders!

One thing though, and that is, some of their progeny will have an affinity for caves.

All this was tested and checked by my mad scientist friend at the lab, so it's all verifiable!

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I never thought about rendering it...would there be a use for it?

hoodat said:
seedcorn said:
Interesting. I eat rabbit because I like the flavor. Here it turns out to be a health food, who would have thought it?

Very funny, posters saying you would starve to death eating rabbit........
Rabbit starvation is a well known medical fact. We need a certain amount of fat to digest protein and wild rabbit meat has little or no fat. The condition was first observed during the gold rush when the miners tried to live on nothing but rabbit which was very abundant in that area. It is easily cured by eating the fat from other animals occasionally. The Indians were well aware of the problem and the cure but as usual the white miners refused to take the advice of those "ignorant savages". It isn't likely modern man will try to live on nothing but rabbit as a source of protein. Because we usually get too much fat in a modern diet rabbit starvation is no longer a problem. Other than that rabbit is the healthiest meat of any domestic animal; high in protein when combined with a bit of fat from other sources and rich in zinc and other dietary minerals and vitamins.
Fat in butchered domestic rabbits is normally stripped out in butchering since it doesn't taste very good. It renders out into something more like an oil than a fat. Most of the fat will be clustered around the internal organs with one thin strip on either side of the back. The muscle meat itself never has fat in it like pork or beef. After being chilled in the refrigerator the fat is easily stripped out with just your fingers.

Latest posts