Little bunny foo foo!

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The young ones are really cute, aren't they?

I have been somewhat negligent about processing two grow-out cages of young bunnies. So today I finally got my rear end in gear and did 15 New Zealands this morning. The cold front was not here yet and I was able to stay out in the barn long enough without freezing my wet hands. Now I have 38 pounds of nice rabbit ready for the freezer tomorrow night. It should get us through the winter or at least until I get the grow-out cages filled again. My son and I are butchering a hog Saturday. The freezer should be full. Actually we're very late with stocking up on meat as we usually do this in late November.

Hoodat, I need to take your advice and handle my breeders more than once a month. They're feisty little devils and whenever I take a doe to old Stewart's cage I get scratched all over my wrists. I can never seem to remember to put gloves on.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yes... I am grateful! It's also our master bath, so nobody ever uses it but me. Hubs isn't the bath kind of guy... Lol I always bleach it real good between uses as well. The little Californians are a bit skittish yet, and will scratch a bit, but not terribly so. The New Zealands are a bit bigger akd seem to be more tame. Our plan is to handle our breeders regularly, once a week at the very minimum.

Today they really seemed to Settle in today. we bought them a big 32 oz water bottle that has a little toggle on the end instead of a ball, it has been full since we got it with very little gone. This afternoon I walk in and almost the whole thing was gone! It wasn't like that this morning! Lol They also feel comfortable enough to eat around me as well. I can sit in there and they will eat out of their little hopper. Made me happy for some crazy reason. :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rabbits that are used to the ball type water bottle take a while to learn to use the lixit nozzles. Sounds like they caught on. All it takes is one to figure it out and the rest imitate it. The biggest advantage of lixit nozzles is they can be adapted to a watering system that operates from either a bucket or your water source after stepping down the pressure to it. Just string tubing and use the adapters and clips you can get from rabbit supply houses.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have never had pen raised rabbit. I have had wild rabbit and didn't like it.

I hope you are not planning to eat the named rabbits! I always keep food animals nameless and visit them only as needed. I never hang out and talk to them, cuddle them--any of that. It's just too hard come kill time.

Please let us know how this goes with updates.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We're not planning on eating the named rabbits until they outlive their usefulness.. but that should be several years in the future. We enjoy playing with them and loving on them for now. :)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whew! I'm sure glad to hear that. I can promise you that breeders named Marshall will never outlive their usefulness!!!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
April Manier said:
I have never had pen raised rabbit. I have had wild rabbit and didn't like it.

I hope you are not planning to eat the named rabbits! I always keep food animals nameless and visit them only as needed. I never hang out and talk to them, cuddle them--any of that. It's just too hard come kill time.

Please let us know how this goes with updates.
Domestic rabbits and wild rabbits are entirely different in taste. Wild rabbits are leaner, mostly red meat and the taste depends, to a degree, on what they have been eating. Domestics have white meat and a mild taste.

Latest posts