Living with tornadoes - how to reduce your risk!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
In a mobile home: Get out! Even if your home is tied down, it is not as safe as an underground shelter or permanent, sturdy building. Go to one of those shelters, or to a nearby permanent structure, using your tornado evacuation plan. Most tornadoes can destroy even tied-down mobile homes; and it is best not to play the low odds that yours will make it.

Well, there you have it, we're dead! We are buying a double wide and there is no basement, no permanent structure, no nothing other than trees! Haha! We'll build barns, sheds and stuff, but nothing that would withstand a tornado. Fortunately, there aren't many there, but it only takes one. We get more of them here as spin-offs from hurricanes.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm with ya @baymule. My doublewide is on top of a hill. The only other structure is a metal barn. I suppose we could take out chances running down the hill and jump in the creek......
Maybe we won't be crushed by trees...
Or bitten by snakes....
Or die in a few weeks from whatever might be in the water from the cow pasture upstream.....
sFun_nahnahna3.gif

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well it is... but after a nice long hot spell that creek starts to smell very similar to the barns at the state fair. :confused:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, why don't you check into those home tornado shelters? My son-in-law sells the kind that you put in your garage floor, but there is another company here that sells the kind you put outside your house. I bet they are in Texas, too. Maybe you can build something that would also be used as a cellar. I think a person can even get a tax credit or something for them.

Latest posts