Mannerisms

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I forget where I read this recently. It was an example of the use of a word. Shoot, it might have been "ally" as I was exploring that aly/alley thread through the dictionaries. I'll try to use "ally" in how I remember it.

"He looked at Rawhide sitting on the stool across from him and just nodded knowing he was an ally. Bert had that look of love in his icy eyes macho men often have for each other."

Now, you know why I forgot where I read that! I laughed right out loud as I left the page. Ha ha!

I got a wave from a neighbor recently. It was a wave just as he looked away. I've talked to him when he has been out doing yard work. He's always grumpy. I had the idea that the wave went with the mindset, "I hate this job. Ya know, I'm just duty-bound to do it." Ha!

I read recently about a study done by women walking on sidewalks and NOT stepping to one side when others approached. They recorded the number of times and the sex of those people who bumped into them. I hope they wore sensible shoes! Anyway, it was like 99% men who bumped them. Questioning the behavior, one person referred to it as "manslamming." This reminded me of a linguistic study on how often women say "sorry." The research tried to tie that to the near absence of women in the higher ranks of industry. Personally, I wonder how those walking habits would explain male mobility!

Do you want to do some manslamming? Ha! Remember, we may look rugged but it is just a crude covering on the little boys we never left behind.

Steve
I remember this ;):
“The Little Boy and the Old Man

Said the little boy, "Sometimes I drop my spoon."
Said the old man, "I do that too."
The little boy whispered, "I wet my pants."
I do that too," laughed the little old man.
Said the little boy, "I often cry."
The old man nodded, "So do I."
But worst of all," said the boy, "it seems
Grown-ups don't pay attention to me."
And he felt the warmth of a wrinkled old hand.
I know what you mean," said the little old man.” ~ Shel Silverstein

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would guess that 90% of that man-slamming was an otherwise focused guy not realizing that the nearest being wasn't planning to step aside. That same gentleman doesn't slam into trees and hydrants because there is an unconscious knowledge that inanimate objects won't move.

That same sense of man-slamming doesn't happen as often when dancing because there it is the man's duty to be aware of the couple's situational space.

Love Shel Silverstein and quote him often, especially from the poem "Helping".

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if the age of the men who didn't step aside was considered in the study?
I find myself stepping aside more often than I wish. And I'm getting to the age when both men and women should be trying to help me cross the street! :old

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Cal. Central Valley where the latino, black, hmong, and biker gangs run rampant, and bodies are found in the orchards and irrigtion ditches on a weekly basis . Just where does one place the teen/ twenty something dudes that dare you to not step asside when they are coming toward you ? I had quite a few occations where my wife and I crossed the street rather than go by them especially when it starts to get dark. :caf

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if the age of the men who didn't step aside was considered in the study?
I find myself stepping aside more often than I wish. And I'm getting to the age when both men and women should be trying to help me cross the street! :old

I wonder if Boy Scouts still do that? And if they do, where are they when you need them?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had some scouts in the Memorial Day parade. Not very many, but we are a small community. There were cubs, scouts, and an aspiring Eagle (teen) or two.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Cal. Central Valley. . . . Just where does one place the teen/ twenty something dudes that dare you to not step asside when they are coming toward you ? I had quite a few occations where my wife and I crossed the street rather than go by them especially when it starts to get dark. :caf

Scary! That's why I live in the South-est, central-est of Wisconsin. Have to go to Madison, Milwaukee, or (God forbid) Chicago at night to meet very many of those types.

Latest posts