Moving Large Containers

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Soil is heavy, what is the largest container you can safely move by yourself. This summer I got several fig and citrus trees that need to come in for winter. I want to repot in the largest pots I can handle alone. Whats your limit size wise?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, my dear friend, GET A DOLLY! Use wheels! Or put the pot on a wheeled tray designed to hold it. Oops.....my bad..... I forgot you don't build stuff (the wheeled tray) so, back to the dolly! You can get one with a longer platform (or whatever they call it) scoopy-thingy!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a dolly with big 10" air filled wheels. It goes over most terrain. Just how uneven are we talking about? Rocks? Ditches?

If that doesn't work, then the next best suggestion is to fill up a pot with dirt and try to move it. If it don't budge, it's too big! :lol: No, really, you need to find a way to not be tugging on a heavy potted plant, that just screams pulled back to me. Ha! Got it! A flat top wagon! Tilt top would be perfect.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...in&utm_campaign=generic&utm_content=gardening carts wagons&mkwid=bNtCKGsij&pcrid=794976146&mtype=b&storeId=6970&langId=-1&type=search

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a dolly with big 10" air filled wheels. It goes over most terrain. Just how uneven are we talking about? Rocks? Ditches?

If that doesn't work, then the next best suggestion is to fill up a pot with dirt and try to move it. If it don't budge, it's too big! :lol: No, really, you need to find a way to not be tugging on a heavy potted plant, that just screams pulled back to me. Ha! Got it! A flat top wagon! Tilt top would be perfect.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=gardening carts wagons&Nty=1&D=gardening carts wagons&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Dx=mode matchallpartial&cmnosearch=PPC&utm_source=bing_PPC&utm_medium=GroundsMaintain&utm_campaign=generic&utm_content=gardening carts wagons&mkwid=bNtCKGsij&pcrid=794976146&mtype=b&storeId=6970&langId=-1&type=search
Bay, how are you going to get a big hugh pot into that cart? Looks like you'd have to lift it a good foot just to get it in!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, please get a friend to help you move big pots. My husband and I move mine a short space occasionally and even then I get scared that we will hurt outselves. At our age, it's not wise to push it.

To answer your question a 6" pot. :D

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, how are you going to get a big hugh pot into that cart? Looks like you'd have to lift it a good foot just to get it in!
Good question! If Nyboy can't find a tilt top wagon, then maybe placing the pot on a raised surface such as a deck or bench, then the pot could be schooched (invented word) over from the raised surface to the wagon. Um... then of course, it must be removed from the wagon......back to square one....

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
?? Could you simply put the big pot indoors and THEN fill it with the soil & overwintering plant?
Then in the spring, tip them over to get the plant out to move back outside????

Latest posts