MY hot Compost Pile!

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I finally made my first compost pile. I read a couple books, and did a bit of research...Then yesterday, I gathered my materials and created the perfect habitat for those decomposing micro-organisms.

CompostPile.jpg

For my BROWN materials, I started out with 2 bags of old dried out grass clippings, old wood chip bedding from the chicken coop, and a small sack of leaves.

For my GREEN materials, I used weeds (picked fresh from the garden), fresh grass clippings, and some kitchen scraps (orange peels & Papaya peels).

I rounded up some old chicken wire and tied the ends together with some garbage bag ties, making a circle about 3ft wide. Then I began to layer the green and brown materials. I started with a thick layer of browns, wetting it, then with a thinner layer of greens, wetting it...and so on until I ran out of materials. At the end, I mixed everything and wet the top and sides thoroughly.

According to my research, I should turn the pile thoroughly weekly until the compost is decomposed to my liking.

This morning, I put my hand in the pile. It was surprisingly hot. A lot warmer than I expected. I suppose this means that the microbes have activated?

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If it's hot....you got it right. Looks good, too. Just be sure to cover it during rains so it doesn't cool down. Gonna be some "black gold" pretty soon.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
If it's hot....you got it right. Looks good, too. Just be sure to cover it during rains so it doesn't cool down. Gonna be some "black gold" pretty soon.
Rain won't be a problem down here, if anything, I'll have to water it every day. (Sonoran Desert)

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I mixed the pile today.

I took off the wire mesh from around the pile and relocated it a couple feet away. Then I began to shovel the material into the mesh. I watered each layer lightly. Once I finished turning the pile, I added more grass clippings (a mixture of dried and green), watering each layer.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Now...here's the part I like...this afternoon, go out to the pile and shove your hand down into the center of it...and see how long you can keep it in there.:lol:

usschicago1

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
Now...here's the part I like...this afternoon, go out to the pile and shove your hand down into the center of it...and see how long you can keep it in there.:lol:
Hahaha That is cool ! HOT

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This morning, I found my chihuahua curled up on the heap. I guess she was cold this morning, or just likes the heat? Anyway, once I shooed her off, I shoved my hand deep into the pile. It was quite exhilirating. First, I found steam beaming against my hand...going deeper, I felt the real nice moist heat, then finally getting to the very core, I started to fell the more stale, open flame type heat. Very nice.

The only thing I dread about composting is the fact that it shrinks. Yesterday It was overflowing, and now it's 3 inches under the rim of the chicken wire!

~Rio

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rio_Lindo_AZ said:
This morning, I found my chihuahua curled up on the heap. I guess she was cold this morning, or just likes the heat? Anyway, once I shooed her off, I shoved my hand deep into the pile. It was quite exhilirating. First, I found steam beaming against my hand...going deeper, I felt the real nice moist heat, then finally getting to the very core, I started to fell the more stale, open flame type heat. Very nice.

The only thing I dread about composting is the fact that it shrinks. Yesterday It was overflowing, and now it's 3 inches under the rim of the chicken wire!

~Rio
Heck....don't dread that, cause that's EXACTLY what you want to happen. The faster it shrinks....the more "right" you got the mix.
You're gonna have some good, black gold before you know it.

Latest posts