My strange remuddled house

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, I thought I would post some interior picks of this place.
It is a 1952 Jim Walters Home. I can't find much of anything on the net about them. But they were quite popular mid century.
It started out as a 2 (?) bdrm, living room, kitchen, dining room...set up. We find no indications that the house had an inside bathroom. This is rural SC...1952 after all.
The original owners built a porch on the back...spanning the length of the house. To that....on the end, they plopped on a tiny bathroom. Very poorly laid out.
Later on, they added another room with a full bath...attached to the east side/back of the porch.
In 2002, a completely finished room was added to the north side of the old house...
It was a meeting room for the owner, who by then was an ordained minister. He used it for his religious meetings. (We think). It was added to the north side with access via a small 4 step down stair case.
We took over that room for our master bedroom. It is secure from snakes.
Here are some pics......

Attachments

• DSC00133.JPG
    DSC00133.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC00138.JPG
    DSC00138.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC00139.JPG
    DSC00139.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC00151.JPG
    DSC00151.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 195
  • vines in window.JPG
    vines in window.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 195

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention. Nothing. Worked. :barnie The well pump needed primed. The water needed tested. The one toilet was broke and the bathroom unusable. The kitchen sink drain was plugged...with grease, and burnt foods. It was also the laundry drain.
The kitchen had no fridge nor stove. The kitchen was basically unusable.
the outside foundation was so over grown, that it took us 2 weeks of daily cutting and chopping...to get into the house.
We spent 100 days cleaning, fixing, repairing, sanitizing, etc...to bring the house up to sub-standard. So we could move in.
The only usable room was the one we took over for the master bedroom. It was clean, and secure. We could sleep without worrying about snakes in the bed.
So we lived in the store front building. It was basically a finished basement type room. But no utilities except power. So I cooked meals in a makes shift kitchen, and we used the camper out back for toileting. And...showers behind a blue tarp, with water from the hose. :ep I put a stop to that the end of Sept. It got too cold for me to shower outside then.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
What an adventure! I've lived in some pretty primitive housing while things were being remodeled, moved, or torn out, but I think you're the winner in primitive living. In my younger days, it would have sounded like a fun project for DH and I to work on together.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes...yes it is ...growing THROUGH the window tracks. We had to prune it...inside :ep

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yep. I caught a black racer....just before he made it to the safety of our bedroom door. The inside bedroom door. I chased him into the corner built in cabinet....locked him in...and let hubby deal with him when he got home from work. I have caught 9 snakes so far...in the 4.5 years we have owned the place.
Wanna see pictures? :ep

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wondered at first if you meant he was a snake-handling preacher. LOL

We bought our halfway "remuddled" 1942 farm house knowing there was more work to be done. What was done, needs redone since it wasn't done all that well. It's amazing what people could get away with back before there were building codes. :confused:

Latest posts