Name Changes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking through Wikipedia, because I'm not a horticulturalist and so take a layman's investigative approach, I notice that there are often changes over time to scientific names. Okay, I assume that there has been agreement between several scientists that specialize in the plants to make these changes. Perhaps recently often this is based on genetic testing.

It happens with common names, as well. Sometimes, a garden plant is "adopted" from another part of the world and there is likely an uncertainty regarding the name used in another culture. Attempts to correct this or for other reasons, the name changes and becomes more widely accepted. An example is the Asian green Gai Lan ̵‒ I originally learned it as Guy Lon and liked that version but it changed 🤨.

Broadleaf Thyme is plant that I have had indoors through the Winter for years and, once in a while, use it to sooth an irritated throat. It is becoming more common to call it Cuban Oregano. Okay, I'll adapt.

Just today, I learned that a leafy green that I have had in the garden for several years and simply call an Amaranth was once commonly known as Tampala. Google didn't even know that name 🙃. And, BTW, since it often isn't "green," maybe the vegetable category itself should be changed to accommodate its purple or tricolor leaves ;).

Steve

Latest posts