Named Winter Storms

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Does anybody know why winter storms are now given names likes hurricanes? I have noticed this on The Weather Channel. :hu

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah isnt that weird? I mean how or why did we even start naming hurricanes, either?? Its not like they're our little "pet storms" or anything!!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You have to name the Hurricanes to distinguish them from each other. If you don't name them, how would you know which storm is which. It just makes it simple to give them names. Theirs a reason for everything.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I surf past the Weather Channel and there is a possibility that I'll stop there. It isn't so much that I am interested in gaining information. I think it is mostly because I enjoy the weather. Seeing the maps, the short clips of conditions as the nation moves about its business. . .

Sometimes, I want to toss throw pillows at the "personalities." Playfully, of course . . . They are doing there best to entertain me - they entire WC crew.

Back to the WS, I go. I've been looking at the US Weather Service websites for years and find some new source of information every week! Too much! Go deeper than 2 clicks and I'm in danger of becoming lost!

Weather Channel? Oh, it's attractive . . . silly is sometimes attractive but, it can get tedious. What's with the "Draco" - is it? Silly names. I suppose people wouldn't pay much attention if they called it "Steve." Does that storm really amount to much in - what - Kansas and then moving into Illinois, I guess? Can anyone care more about weather news because they call it "Draco" and do a lot of graphics trying to get your attention? I guess so but if the hype continues on very long and has little meaning, it's going to get tedious.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you noticed that on the TV channels they do all the teasing of some sort of maybe, possibly, some type of disasterous weather or what ever... just stay tuned and we will tell you about in a few minutes. Well about 15 - 25 minutes later, they tell us nothing more than the ordinary or slightly more so weather or whatever event. Also, when they are reporting some news, they peak everyones interest by saying " this may be disturbing to some of you..." and it turns out to be nothing more than the ordinary. Then when some disaster is at hand everyone just ignores this self puffery . Talk about crying wolf one too many times in the name of self promotion. Geeeesh ! They could have reported the story in the time that it took to self promote . I have a life besides having to stay tuned to their batter. :somad

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Television is in the business of selling advertising. The more people watch your program, the more valuable it is to advertisers.

The Weather Channel may just be jazzing up their winter season.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...er-storms-to-be-named-by-weather-channel?lite

But, once the criteria are in place to determine which storms get names, I'm guessing that someone else will be taking advantage of the system.

Insurance Companies.

Check your Homeowner's Insurance policy for different deductibles and benefits for Damages Due to Named Storms. If not this year, check next year when you renew.

Storms get names when they reach a particular level of severity.

Tropical Depressions have numbers, Tropical Storms (39 MPH winds) and subsequent strengthening to hurricanes (74 MPH winds) have names. I can't remember what happens to my insurance when a storm gets a name, but I know my coverage and deductible change.

For winter storms, criteria will be established (wind speed, temps, amount of snow?) that will make it easier to define different benchmarks of insurance coverage.

Or, I could be overreacting. :)
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...emperatures-or-wind-winter-storms-named-storm

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Well they do play music during the "Local on the 8's". Joz, your answer I think really sums it up. Thanks you the great answer!

I just love it when weather happens. It is usually dry, mild and sunny here... how BORING! When there is a promise of moisture I'm like a little kid on Christmas Eve :fl

Latest posts