Named Winter Storms

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:gig

I don't watch the weather channel. I have to deal with the weather regardless of what comes our way, I still have to go to work, and I still have chores. So regardless if we have named storms or named snowflakes it doesn't change what I have to do.

Seriously though what's next are we going to start naming tornadoes? If that's the case can we at least make it interesting? Maybe get one of the announcers from the Kentucky Derby to tell us about the storm?

"Here comes Johnny down the bend, making a slight shift to the outside.....oh OH THERE HE GOES DOWN MAPLE STREET! Johnny's really gaining speed and tearing the ground up! Moving fast! HE JUST BLEW THE ROOF OFF THAT HOUSE! WOW LOOK AT HIM GO!!! WOW LOOK AT HOW HE JUST JUMPED OVER THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WITHOUT BREAKING STRIDE!!!"

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hurricanes have names. Always female names until a few years ago, I guess equal rights and all that stuff. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why if hurricanes have MALE names, then why aren't they called HIMacanes? :idunno

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
baymule said:
Hurricanes have names. Always female names until a few years ago, I guess equal rights and all that stuff. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why if hurricanes have MALE names, then why aren't they called HIMacanes? :idunno
:yuckyuck

I think the sailors (men) did give them names of fierce women they had known, the old girl in every port thing and that the tradition came from that. Since sailor aren't often on land no names for winter storms.

Just a theory.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I THINK - and who cares what I think anyway - that THEY are naming more storms now than in the past to make us think there are more and more storms annually that ever before. WARNING, WARNING, DISASTER IS NEAR!

Each spring THEY predict more and worse hurricanes. Each fall THEY try to explain how and why THEY were wrong.

Not done in the past, but now every Cyclone - storm that formed in the Pacific - is also named. That way THEY certainly get further down the alphabet so it seems like more and more bad weather.

I don't spend much time watching the weather on TV. Can't do anything about it anyway, besides most of the reports further than one day away get changed before they make it here. A - N - D, the worst storms we've had were always the ones THEY failed to predict or THEY predicted to be minor precipitation events.

Love, Smart Red

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
I THINK - and who cares what I think anyway - that THEY are naming more storms now than in the past to make us think there are more and more storms annually that ever before. WARNING, WARNING, DISASTER IS NEAR!

Each spring THEY predict more and worse hurricanes. Each fall THEY try to explain how and why THEY were wrong.

Not done in the past, but now every Cyclone - storm that formed in the Pacific - is also named. That way THEY certainly get further down the alphabet so it seems like more and more bad weather.

I don't spend much time watching the weather on TV. Can't do anything about it anyway, besides most of the reports further than one day away get changed before they make it here. A - N - D, the worst storms we've had were always the ones THEY failed to predict or THEY predicted to be minor precipitation events.

Love, Smart Red
I agree with that completely. You really are a Smart Red :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
You really are a Smart Red :)
Nope, nope, nope! The Smart Red is not intended to be a description, but is merely a mnemonic device from my school days. Certainly not red and were I really smart I wouldn't be bragging about myself.

Love, Linn

Okay, so the shirt is red. . . .

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
That type of sensational journalism SELLS , so it brings in more viewers, in turn, advertisers pay big bucks to air their overpriced but now on rock bottom prices for their can't do without goodies that they want to peddle , which in turn allows them to be overpaid for their sensationalism. :rolleyes: I want the facts mam, just the facts. :old

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
fair weather chicken said:
THE WEATHER CHANNEL= OLD PEOPLES MTV :thumbsup :clap
You never can tell who will be attracted to a TEG topic - well, this shouldn't have been surprising and Fair Weather Chicken has given me reason for some thought.

After I'd made sure that my weather channel viewing was at an absolute minimum, I tried to evaluate my interest in the US Weather Service. During the spring & summer months, I can "gear up" for the day by opening that as my first internet tab of the morning. It makes all sorts of difference - like, what clothes I wear and how cheerful I am . . . okay, at least it's gotta be better than drugs, right?

Like this morning . . . up 2 or 3 hours before anyone else. I'm staring at the radar map and trying to see why the BIG storm on the Pacific coast will only bring us "New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible." What do they see that I'm missing??! I stare harder . . .

Okay, it does seem to be moving a little too much north, northeast. That means the Olympic Mountains will catch a whole lot of that moisture and also, that it may move mostly into Canada before reaching us. Did you know that the highest peaks of the Olympics are nearly 8,000 feet in the air?? I mean, that is with their feet in the ocean!!! So, Colorado has several 14,000 foot peaks. What are these mountains rising above -- valleys at 6 and 7,000 feet? See??!

Anyway, I'm trying to look down thru the green at Portland, Oregon. Our weather usually passes right over that city on its 400 mile trip inland. Okay, it doesn't seem to represent much depth to the clouds. They are always much better at this than I am - those WS meteorologists. I'm still going with 1 1/2 inches, tho' :p and will be out before sunrise tomorrow, with the snow shovel.

Steve :cool:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
An inch and a half sounds good to me Steve! We've got a pretty good stockpile of snow now, it should last us awhile before we need to build it up again. :p

Latest posts