Nasturtiums from Seed

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
horsetail is a real booger of a weed to fully eradicate. get it early as you can and as much of the roots as you can track down.
Yes, horsetail can take years to eradicate. The best defence that I have found is to plant other roots in the soil, to out compete it. This year Botanical Interests 'Cut and Come Again Zinnias' kept horse tail at bay, as did French Marigolds. Sunflower patches turned in to horsetail patches (but they were still wonderful!)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, horsetail can take years to eradicate. The best defence that I have found is to plant other roots in the soil, to out compete it. This year Botanical Interests 'Cut and Come Again Zinnias' kept horse tail at bay, as did French Marigolds. Sunflower patches turned in to horsetail patches (but they were still wonderful!)

i had them take over a large garden (it was a strawberry patch and i didn't want to dig it all up but once the deer found it and it got taken over by other plants i could get after them) and they spread to cover nearly 3/4 of it before i finally dug through it all. it still took me six years after that to find all the last bits and get them out of there.

Last edited:

Latest posts