Old tire = New pond

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too cool not to share!

6486_tire_pond.jpg

No written directions, but the picture is pretty self-explanatory. I have two old tractor tires I can get my hands on! :weee

I think I would rather use the heavier black pond liner stuff than just plain plastic sheeting though. I also think you could saw off a section of a big #2 plastic drum for this, if you can't find a big tire. The top edge on those are smooth.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOAH!!!!!!! Very cool.

If I had any way to move/handle them, I could get my hands on some of those GIANT heavy equipment tires... The ones on our back dumps at work are about 5' tall... and about 400 lbs.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
canesisters said:
WOAH!!!!!!! Very cool.

If I had any way to move/handle them, I could get my hands on some of those GIANT heavy equipment tires... The ones on our back dumps at work are about 5' tall... and about 400 lbs.
they're tires. just roll them! :p with some help of course.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the only reason they used the tires is to use that cheap plastic to keep water in. The tire will act like a real liner and keep out most plant roots and rocks, while the plastic just makes it all watertight. If that wasn't the case, there's no way he would of hidden the tire completely like he did.

If you wanted to show off the tire, you would need to only get a small section of liner and the special sealant to secure rubber to rubber.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very cool idea, but you do have to wonder how long that plastic sheeting is going to last.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
Very cool idea, but you do have to wonder how long that plastic sheeting is going to last.
Yeah, I would think the UV sunlight would eventually break it down, maybe a little slower because of the water though. I would use pond liner myself.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you layer some newspaper or landscaping mulch under the plastic it should help to keep any rocks or sharp pebbles under it from scratching or puncturing. i worry more if there are plants added that the containers could scratch them. you probably want the thickest plastic you could get at a store.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
what a super idea. i've got a pump, some misc. pond items waiting for a home. i like this idea. i would use pond liner instead of plastic for longevity. i love water features. have a few and want more.

Latest posts