One Alaskans greenhouse

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is both a happy and a sad day for me each year when i hive the bees. Happy knowing they will do their best for me and sad at knowing the hostile neighborhood i brought them into.
The ignorance of some and the apathy of others who vainly strive for perfect lawns do irreparable damage far beyond the borders of they’re own property when bringing Herbicides into the mix.
Rant over.
In a couple days they will be all out of the shipping cage and into the hive; at that time the shelf comes off and the plug goes back in the side.
A few “scouts” were buzzing around the door of the greenhouse earlier just getting aquatinted with the property. By now they have discovered the birch and willow, both of which are good pollen sources this time of year.

Attachments

• IMG_2518.jpeg
    IMG_2518.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2520.jpeg
    IMG_2520.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 16

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In the Greenhouse things are changing daily now. Once mint in the bed emerges and im sure i’ll not need any starts this 40lb pot of Chocolate Mint will be sent to a new home.
Today the pea net went up and im hopeful to get the 8ea 20gal pea pots out side early next week. The green beans are 3 ft up the string now and the Cucumbers are gathered at the string and ready to take over they’re 12ft. Of space.
The Artichokes and Pumpkins may go out into next week, depending on evening temps.

Attachments

• IMG_2522.jpeg
    IMG_2522.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2525.jpeg
    IMG_2525.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2526.jpeg
    IMG_2526.jpeg
    421.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2527.jpeg
    IMG_2527.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In the Greenhouse things are changing daily now. Once mint in the bed emerges and im sure i’ll not need any starts this 40lb pot of Chocolate Mint will be sent to a new home.
Today the pea net went up and im hopeful to get the 8ea 20gal pea pots out side early next week. The green beans are 3 ft up the string now and the Cucumbers are gathered at the string and ready to take over they’re 12ft. Of space.
The Artichokes and Pumpkins may go out into next week, depending on evening temps.
Wow @Alasgun, everything looks so gorgeous.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is both a happy and a sad day for me each year when i hive the bees. Happy knowing they will do their best for me and sad at knowing the hostile neighborhood i brought them into.
The ignorance of some and the apathy of others who vainly strive for perfect lawns do irreparable damage far beyond the borders of they’re own property when bringing Herbicides into the mix.
Rant over.
In a couple days they will be all out of the shipping cage and into the hive; at that time the shelf comes off and the plug goes back in the side.
A few “scouts” were buzzing around the door of the greenhouse earlier just getting aquatinted with the property. By now they have discovered the birch and willow, both of which are good pollen sources this time of year.
It will be no consolation to you to know it is world wide, not just your neighbors. And no one cares. I have customers who are a huge bee keeping company in Florida.Every summer they visit Massachusetts with their bees, release them at the farms, collect them, and return to Florida. They said if it were not for people raising bees, the worlds for supply would be in danger.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rant over.
That's cool you have beehives! How much honey do you get?

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal, Thanks i work hard at it but i’m certain it’s “the Lord who gives the increase”. All by myself, i’m not that smart.

@catjac1975 I’ve been “into bees” for roughly 40 years and seen how this problem has grown and grown. You’re right about it being much broader than just my neighborhood and that’s the part i wish folks would notice. The irony is that someday they may wake up to only having “Mac and Cheese” on grocery shelves, then they’ll howl and act like a bunch of victims. (wheat and chemical cheese don’t require pollination)🙄

@Dahlia, knowing the extent of the chemicals around us we choose not to take any honey from the bees, they’re function is strictly as pollinators.

Here’s a little more detail to ponder. On many occasions i’ve pointed out “the lawn chemicals used around us”. I don't want anyone to form the opinion i live in a little Chernobyl or right beside Dow chemical in east texas; this is just an Alaskan subdivision exactly like the ones you live in! Not every homeowner is an offender, in fact i see no evidence of lawn care products in the vast majority of the properties around me.
However, the bees will forage over a two mile radius and in that area there will be more than enough bad stuff.

Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We’re eating our own Parsley continually now, a little bouquet like this every day.
The Sandhill Cranes are returning, which i record for posterity’s sake and the Bull Frogs are out of hibernation now. I got a couple nice ones, like this one earlier today.

Attachments

• IMG_2543.jpeg
    IMG_2543.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2537.jpeg
    IMG_2537.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: