ONE, and only ONE! :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't even have to ponder this one Daisy, I immediately thought "Potatoes!".
They're just my favorite crop. I love the reveal at the end of the season when you dig them up and see if the new variety can pull it's weight, and if your old favorite is still number 1.

We eat a lot of potatoes so they're important that way.

I suppose there are a lot of different vegetables that would be more versatile, and give your a more rounded benefit health wise, but if your talking purely about the pleasure and satisfaction from one crop, potatoes do it for me.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
No thinking required here: Tomatoes!

1) Best for return on investment: even a hybrid seed cost about a dime, and look how many tomatoes you can get from one plant.

2) Superior taste compared to what supermarket offers, even when tomatoes are in season at the store.

3) Compare store-bought vs home-grown other vegetables: Tomatoes have the biggest taste and cost difference. I honestly can't tell a home-grown carrot from the grocery store ones. Same for broccoli, potatoes, spinach. Store-bought sweet peppers definitely better than my home-grown. But a home-grown tomato---aah!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
I didn't even have to ponder this one Daisy, I immediately thought "Potatoes!".
They're just my favorite crop. I love the reveal at the end of the season when you dig them up and see if the new variety can pull it's weight, and if your old favorite is still number 1.

We eat a lot of potatoes so they're important that way.

I suppose there are a lot of different vegetables that would be more versatile, and give your a more rounded benefit health wise, but if your talking purely about the pleasure and satisfaction from one crop, potatoes do it for me.
It's not hard to tell your from Idaho Thistle haha.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Winter Squash.....

Why?

Because I love winter Squasheseses, They are easy to grow and they are HUGE! Of all the garden-able plants in the world, they have the most masculature :weight :rose

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
As far as crops go- I would agree with thistle. Potatoes rule. However, if I could grow only one plant- it would be basil. I intend to have a pot of it growing next to my bed in the nursing home. Love the smell, love the taste....

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:th your making me decide???!!!!?? :th :he

NO! No! no! I can't... I love them all equally...well maybe not all of them but :idunno I can't decide...but I agree with everyone here...:D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are limited by species to one not by garden space, right?????

Sweet corn!

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Corn
It'd all be grinding Corn

If not Corn it'd be Beans. Last year, which was the year after the Great Gopher invasion, the only plants left entirely untouched had been Beans. So after all the antigopher implementations I planted basically the only thing they left alone. Beans! Ha! Nary one Gopher last year!!!

They had left the Corn alone too.

Latest posts