Pasta sauce

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been making spaghetti sauce with my tomatoes and yesterday I froze some. I will have enough to cook again today or tomorrow and would love to hear a recipe that you really like. My first batch everybody loved. The next, DD and DS said it was not as good. I am not sure what they will think of what I froze, but it tasted good to me. I am wondering if I am cooking it down long enough. Any recipes, secrets, something that should never go in, something that should always be in the recipe?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must make it the simplest way possible, GWR.

A list of the ingredients does go on the freezer bags, however. That way, I'm comfortable adding to the sauce once it's defrosted.

I suppose that every bag has sauteed onions & garlic (or, garlic salt, at least). And, I always use basil so continuing to process sauce after frost depends partly on how long the cut basil lasts in the fridge. "Soup" need not have basil and I'm wondering what I'm missing by not using parsley.

Variations come with not using a recipe but mostly from the varying cast of surplus tomato varieties going into sauce as some of those late-maturing heirlooms ripen. Pantano Romanesco has to be the best for my purposes. Not usually having paste tomatoes in my garden, I know that I am limiting the quality of the sauce.

Steve
making pasta sauce today

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use the same recipe for spaghetti sauce as for pizza sauce. It has oregano and basil, garlic, salt and a little bit of hot pepper flakes. The ratio of basil to oregano is about 3 to 1.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe that is it, basil and I am not using enough. I use oregano, garlic and onions and basil, but maybe not enough. Thank you all. I have more sauce to make.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Find a little old Italian Lady and ask her to show you.
Lady next door was a war bride from Italy. While authentic Italian, then I preferred "American" sauces. Now, I would love to have a re-do. Her bread, never had the chance to cool when she brought it over.

Latest posts