Perennial Shade Plant Suggestions Needed

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
FINALLY, my two Adult DD's found a house and moved out in December! ...a full 12 miles north of us! :lol:
They have a lovely new mortgage on a lovely 1920's brick house with a full basement, and a full flight of stairs to a full sized attic, 4 bedrooms. It had been a government forclosure and of course, some things have had to be fixed, like the Boiler, and the ORIGINAL :th :th :thwiring...I could go on but I wanted to talk flowers.
The one car garage, south side and established BIG trees really shade the small back yard. I told them it would be fun to do some landscaping for them. I have some limited experience with shade plants on my 5 acre property and I am familiar with vinca, (the usual colors and the Hawaiian Brights), impatiens, begonias, and flowering begonias (which I know are tropical and would have to come indoors during the winter, like my red one and yellow one).
They have 1/4 of an acre, and the small fence on the west, north and northwest side adds even more shade.
Any suggestions? I'm game for it.
They have a criss crossed sidewalk in this area, and I'm SURE Nobody has amended this soil in like FOREVER, so first will be leaf and stick cleanup, and then digging, and tilling in seasoned horse and chicken manure to give it some tilth. I'll be waiting for a repairman tomorrow, so I'll take my camera and take some pictures to share.
I am open to ANY ideas, and Please tell me if you have the plants and how you care for them.
Thanks!!!!! :woot

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
1920s was when houses where built with craftsmanship .My favorite shade plants are bleeding heart and lily of the valley. Lily of the valley is a ground cover that spreads quickly. Both are almost fool proof, bleeding heart getting bigger and bigger each year.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I like those suggestions, especially the Lily of the Valley. I completely forgot that I somebody planted that at my house on the NW side, and it has spread. Do you think that I could dig some up and transplant it?
My girls are real "pink" freaks, so I know they will like bleeding hearts.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love calla lillies. I go about 10 months with either leaves or flowers so I really like that. Very easy to grow. I also have a fuchsia (the one with the very tiny leaves) that does well in shade,is the easiest fuchsia to grow, and doesn't get that fungus that some get.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I loved Lily of the valley as a child. I bought a plant some years back. It has spread uncontrollably sun or shade. I now would never recommend it except perhaps a woodland planting. How about Jack-in the-pulpit?

Latest posts