Planting for chickens

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just bought some cheap lentils over at the local Von's for a bit over $1/bag and am trying to sprout some of them.. I tried some old split peas we had -- soaked them in water for more than a day and they were a much softer and the birds loved them for a while.. I think they're getting tired of them (since they can't sprout).. Hopefully tomorrow or the next day they can have some real 'sprouts'..

By the way.. Do any of your birds make more noise if they are being fed some food they dislike? We've got two Auracana's that are very noisy compared to our Buff Orp's and my wife is considering a chicken dinner if we can't get them to be quieter in our suburban area where chickens are not completely legal..

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
RickF said:
By the way.. Do any of your birds make more noise if they are being fed some food they dislike? We've got two Auracana's that are very noisy compared to our Buff Orp's and my wife is considering a chicken dinner if we can't get them to be quieter in our suburban area where chickens are not completely legal..
I can't figure out why my chickens do what they do, half the time...they seem to squawk for no reason. :rolleyes:

iajewel

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
chickens need grasses and things you can plant yes, but don't forget the protein. They eat bugs and meat. One of the things you can do is start a small compost pile. This will attract bugs and things that will greatly improve the health of your birds. They eat more protein and less grasses and grains then one may think.

Latest posts