Poor man's cloche

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a system that I have been using for many years. Two cedar tree posts. wire strung between, a soaker hose, and a sheet of clear plastic tented over the wire. I prepare the soil, plant my seedlings. (Squashes shown.) The sides of the plastic are buried to hold them in place. This will hold unless you have extreme wind. I will keep this on until the end of May , lifting once or twice for weeding. My plants will be ready to bear fruit shortly after. I will plants seeds in a few weeks, and again in the middle of July. I get 3 consecutive planting in to keep us in squash all season. Easy and cheap.

7100_cloche.jpg

7100_plants_in_cloche.jpg

7100_helper.jpg

7100_clouche_prep.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks like a good system Cat. I had a couple little hoopies last year, but I'll need more this year. I think I'll give your method a go, then I won't have to buy more pipe.

I'm very impressed with the size of that black and gold sprout you have there :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been hoping that. .

. we would be able to see some of your garden, Cat :cool:.

Thank you for posting the pictures.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I have been hoping that. .

. we would be able to see some of your garden, Cat :cool:.

Thank you for posting the pictures.

Steve
It's mostly just compost and seed. I'll photograph the greenhouse when the grandkids are sleeping.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
cat,
Dont let you wife see what you did to her close line. :D
I used a set up like that a few times to get extra early green beans, they work great.

Chris

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
chris09 said:
cat,
Dont let you wife see what you did to her close line. :D
I used a set up like that a few times to get extra early green beans, they work great.

Chris
I'm the wife-that's old wire.
Cathy

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If my gardens weren't at such a distance from my home . . . this, that or another cloche would make so much sense to me!

I set up one of my hoopies in the closest garden about 10 years ago. We had an early bit of hot, sunny weather. I cut half-moons in the plastic so that it could vent the heat. Being there early and late and mid-day - every day just wasn't possible. It still worked quite well to help the plants get an earlier start.

Cathy, my squash plants look about like your outside-the-cloche plants.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amazing difference. Good demonstration, Cat. Your garden looks very lush. My lonely little hill of squash looks like your outside one, too.:/

Latest posts