Potatoes for Zone 8/9

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's that time of year again! Time to begin gathering supplies for this year's spring/summer garden. I can't wait to get my hands back into the dirt!!!

I want to plant potatoes this year, but am having trouble searching for the best varieties for my zone. I can find all kinds of seed potato suppliers, but can't seem to find a way to search by zone. I'm sure the info is out there and that I'm just not searching effectiverly. I'm looking for super flavor for roasting. Anybody have any suggestions on varieties or a site I can use to get the info I'm looking for?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure if zone matters too much. Remember Skeeter, your zone isn't just in southern California. Zones 8 & 9 are in Louisiana and Florida . . . ! Soil moisture is very important and, of course, potatoes are a cool-weather crop - even tho' they are frost-sensitive. So, I guess, now is the time for you to be making your plans!

I only have 2 catalogs that put a great emphasis on potatoes: Fedco and Irish Eyes. In answering their frequently asked question: Which varieties do well anywhere? Irish Eyes says:

yellow finn (but, they also say that it needs the climate of the maritime Northwest)
red norland
viking purple
red pontiac
kennebec
red lasoda (they say, "developed for Southern growers")
caribe
yukon gold
norkotah

Other than shipping information, I don't see that Fedco says anything about growing in the South or Southwest . . :hu

Still, they are very helpful people and you could ask them: moosetubers@fedcoseeds.com

Looking thru the Potatogarden.com website, I only see one reference to what you might be looking for: Red Lasoda, "A great choice for the South as they are resistant to wind and heat."

All that probably isn't of much help . . .

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This year we're doing yukon gold... years past we've done the grocer white potatoes and russet all in buckets and they did well for us. The white potatoes did best. We're Zone 7b, and literally like 20 minutes drive from where zone 8 begins. So we get years where things will work out well for us, then they won't!? ARGH!

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Definitely helpful, Steve. The only potatoes I've ever grown were the ones I planted in big tubs late last summer. When I harvested in the fall I had 5 tiny little Red Norlands from 5 plants. I consider that a win since nothing rotted! I think maybe I will try the Red Norlands again this spring and stop worrying about the zone thing.

Vfem, I love Yukon Golds! They roast well, too, so maybe I will order some of those as well.

Spring needs to hurry up and arrive!!!

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What about planting Potatoes early in a bag in a basement, can they be started now?
what about sweet potatoes? I am very anxious to get started but don't want to have wasted my time!!

thanks in advance

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't have any idea about the potatoes in a bag thing. Is it warm enough for them to grow in your basement? Might be worth a try. I want to do sweet potatoes this year, too. That, and about a thousand other things! :p

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
the1honeycomb said:
What about planting Potatoes early in a bag in a basement, can they be started now?
what about sweet potatoes? I am very anxious to get started but don't want to have wasted my time!!

thanks in advance
I sprout mine in the pantry before I plant them, and I'm in NC too. I plant my potato buckets in Feb, so its coming up fast!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We do skeeter... but the potatoes take awhile to emerge and usually come out and visible to cover in March. (I do it in buckets and then pile up compost and hay everytime I see green poke through.)

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, I see. I remember you harvesting last year - wasn't it around July? Seems like you got quite a few potatoes out of each bucket.