PotterWatch garden 2014

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is mostly just for me to keep track of some garden stuff this year. I have a some stuff started in my greenhouse and other things waiting to be planted when I can put seeds in the ground. My husband bought a few different kinds of corn but I will probably only plant two of them this year (blue jade and country gentleman). I dialed back on the tomato varieties this year from what I normally plant. Mainly because I will have a larger garden than I've had before and I don't want to stress myself out too much. This is also my first year in Virginia and I am still getting used to the differences.

This is my list for the year so far-
Tomato:
Federle
Green Zebra
Opalka
Black Krim
Ukrainian Purple
Gold Rush Currant
Amish Paste
Speckled Roman

Beans:
Ireland Creek Annie
Cherokee Trail of Tears
Calypso
Bountiful
Bumblebee

Peppers:
Orange Bell
Black Hungarian
Jalapeño Traveler
Georgia Flame

Onion:
Red Wethersfield
Yellow of Parma
Long Red Florence

Cucumber:
Bushy
Parisian Pickling

Squash:
Table Queen
Patty Pan
Musquee De Provence
Howden Pumpkin
Big Max Pumpkin

Watermelon:
Small Shining Light
Sugar Baby

Broccoli:
De Cicco
Romanesco

Radish:
Watermelon
French Breakfast

Corn:
Blue Jade
Ashworth Sweet
Stowell's Evergreen
Country Gentleman

Lettuce/Kale/Spinach:
Reine Des Glaces
Lacinato
Grandpa Admire's
Baby Oakleaf
Tres Fine Maraichere
Red Russian
Bloomsdale

Other:
Tall Utah Celery
Long Island Improved Brussels Sprouts
Early Snowball Cauliflower
Amish Snap Peas
Christmas Lima Beans
Chioggia Beets
Danvers Carrots

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a lovely garden! You will have to post pics and let us know how you like having a bigger garden!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A very interesting selection, @PotterWatch !

My mother used to talk about Country Gentleman corn. This was during the Depression and that sweet corn dates to a time before that. Her family had to move back to the farm and growing food was very important to them for a few years.

"Small Shining Light" watermelon?? I will try again to have Blacktail Mountain watermelon this season. Supposedly, it originated around here. I'm expecting it to provide some evidence of that . . .

"Amish Snap Peas?" Well, there is no reason why they shouldn't have their own variety but the snap pea did originate not too far from here. One of the great advances in the veggie world, to my way of thinking :).

Steve

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Almost everything has started to sprout. Just waiting on the watermelon and peppers.

Peas
148A858E-C4B7-4DE9-9AF3-3D819896EB37_zpsfnvugakp.jpg

Tomatoes
56DB77A5-F540-458A-ACB2-B1BD9C40494E_zpsfy0nqknr.jpg

Corn
87AB11E2-5111-471F-8B67-856553BF2185_zpsykun3reo.jpg

Beans
F8987C5B-A9C6-4DF6-B98C-0A2557198ADE_zpsmnpwzodj.jpg

One side of the greenhouse
71D78FB4-B6A8-4117-8638-70AD937AFEE6_zpsa5mbra7x.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love the greenhouse side shot. How about a pic of the entire greenhouse? You know it is one of the unwritten rules of TEG that we all live vicariously through each others pictures! :lol:

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You will love the Speckled Roman tomatoes. My mother-in-law swears by them and they usually take up half of her tomato plant space in her garden. I have grown Amish Paste and Black Krim and they did alright in my garden but our summer was very short and very hot that year. I surprised they did as well as they did. I have grown the Red Zebra tomatoes before with excellent success. Now that I think about it, not sure why they weren't included in the garden plan this year....

I have also grown the French Breakfast radishes before and they are always on my list. Great flavor and mature early.

It sounds like you have an excellent plan and your green house is to die for. I so wish I had one!

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love French breakfast radishes. Try are my favorite radish. Speckled Romans are new to me so I'm glad to hear they have been good for you. I've always done Amish paste and I've had black Krims at least one other year but I don't remember how they did. I'm hoping to get decent Brussels sprouts at some point. I tried them several times in California but our weather was just too hot. I need to start more peppers, peas, and beans. I don't think I have near enough started yet. Some pictures from today:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg