Praying Mantis

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am seeing so many mantis in my garden this year. I'm not really sure what they eat, but, I know they are the good bugs.
7100_mantis.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
8098_mantis.jpg

8098_mantis_and_hummer_4.jpg

Here are two photos my sister sent, she swears the mantis was going for the hummers ( even saw feathers fly a time or two!) Amazing critters. Lovely daylily in your photo.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think I ever remember seeing one in upstate NY... they are so cool. I wouldn't like to see one going after one of my hummers though!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are great pix Cat and Carol! I have that same hummer feeder.
Mantids eat whatever they can catch, including other beneficials of course. I would be horrified if one was going after a hummer. Afraid it wouldn't live long enough to try it again.

AdamBorzy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Praying mantis are insect eaters. They eat anything smaller than them but for larger praying mantis
they can also eat small spiders, birds, small lizards or frogs, even small reptiles. :bee

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Does anybody know the difference between the green ones and the brown ones? I have seen green ones that are long and skinny like the pictures here and also brown ones that are kind of short and fat.

Do you think it may be a different stage in their life cycle?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always thought the green were young and the brown mature-guess I don't really know!
RidgebackRanch said:
Does anybody know the difference between the green ones and the brown ones? I have seen green ones that are long and skinny like the pictures here and also brown ones that are kind of short and fat.

Do you think it may be a different stage in their life cycle?

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That seems to make sense as this is the time of year we see more brown ones than green. I just hope they lay lots of eggs for next year! :)

Latest posts