Praying Mantis

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are several different types of Mantis. Some are native to the United States and some have been introduced. Often if you order an egg case of Mantises you will be sent a variety that is not indigenous. Those big guys and girls that eat hummers are part of the introduced types.

Not that they don't do a great job, but being aware of what they can do will help us remember to hang humming bird and butterfly feeders in places that are not accessible to preying mantises.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I learned a couple of new things today about praying mantis. I thought Carol Dee was joking when she said that they attack hummingbirds. I saw an extremely large mantis sitting right on a beautiful pink daylily. The mantis' color was pink! I reached to pollinate the daylily and the insect dropped to the ground of dried leaves and immediately turned brown. I did not know they changed color with their environment. The pink mantis was so beautiful I decided to catch it and put it back on the flower so I could run and get my camera and photograph this unusual sight. Well it BIT ME! It did not break the skin but I sure felt it! So I guess it could take a chunk out of a hummingbird . Maybe not injure it but give it a scare. It startled me. So, no photo.

strantor

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
pink_praying_mantis_camouflage_speckcase-p176736287380626546vu1e1_300.jpg

Here's one that's turned himself pink.
(not my pic)

Danny015

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Carol Dee, I saw a photo once of a mantis eating a hummingbird. The mantis was huge.
Really? I used to despise mantises but since they help control pests population i stated to fall in love with them :lol:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
I don't think I ever remember seeing one in upstate NY... they are so cool. I wouldn't like to see one going after one of my hummers though!
Lesa,

Stop by sometime and I'll give you one of mine. :rolleyes:

mantis.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had never seen a praying mantis in my yard. I'm not sure if it was because none were there, or because I was too busy to relax and really see the gardens. One year a student brought a mantis to school. We gave her a safe home and plenty of food while we observed her actions through late summer and early fall. She produced an egg case that I took home and placed in my garden once Mom had died. The next summer I did see some praying mantis juveniles on my plants so I expect that her egg case hatched just fine.

I know we've always seen walking sticks out here. They are relatives in the mantis family.

Love, Smart Red