1. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Put in my new herb garden!!!

Discussion in 'Herbs' started by HunkieDorie23, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Mar 24, 2012
    HunkieDorie23

HunkieDorie23 Deeply Rooted

Well the weather has been so nice that I took off work on Wed. and put in my raise herb garden. It looks gorgeous. I am embarrassed at how many weeds had grown into the bed. I didn't realize that it was that bad until I started digging. I had a wheelbarrow full of weeds and grass, etc. Food for the compost pile ;).

Anyway, after I got it cleared I put up this border I got at lowes, it's a piece of black plastic with halfed garden logs stapled to it so it looks pretty nice. It ended up being 3' x 12'. I had plants ready to go in so I went a head and planted them.

Basil
    Thyme
    Oregano (some new and some old that I just moved in the bed)
    Chives
    Marjoram
    Sage.

Then I planted seed :
    Dill
    Parsley
    Lavendar.

Can you direct plant lavendar? I wasn't sure but thought I would give it a try.
    I also have lemon basil and garlic chives that I am hardening to plant. I will probably wait until after Monday now because it is going to bet really cold on Monday night. They are calling for 28 degrees. When I planted them they were calling for 38 so I thought ok, no worries. Now I have to come up with a plan or I will loose my basil and marjoram. :fl
  2. Mar 24, 2012
    lesa

lesa Garden Addicted

Cover them up! Get your sheets ready! Sounds like a wonderful herb garden! I notice many of the weeds around here, didn't die during the "winter". Going to be a year for weeding! Happy Gardening!
  3. Mar 24, 2012
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

Teresa, I have planted all of those from seed but done that in the greenhouse, with the exception of the dill. So, altho' I've sown lavender seed, it wasn't outdoors. I'd think it should work fine.

Yes, you'd better really protect that basil, especially. (I haven't even yet sown basil seed for plants to set out as transplants :/.)

The marjoram is an herb I've only grown once so it is an unknown for hardiness. Couldn't make it thru winter on the floor of an unheated greenhouse - know that :rolleyes:.

Steve
  4. Mar 24, 2012
    HunkieDorie23

Marjoram is a wimp when it comes to cold. Worse then basil. I am going to cover them but I am not sure with what.
  5. Mar 24, 2012
    HunkieDorie23

I didn't think about the mild winter. That is probably why they are so many weeds. We had a record rain fall last year to make things worse.