Put in my new herb garden!!!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well the weather has been so nice that I took off work on Wed. and put in my raise herb garden. It looks gorgeous. I am embarrassed at how many weeds had grown into the bed. I didn't realize that it was that bad until I started digging. I had a wheelbarrow full of weeds and grass, etc. Food for the compost pile ;).

Anyway, after I got it cleared I put up this border I got at lowes, it's a piece of black plastic with halfed garden logs stapled to it so it looks pretty nice. It ended up being 3' x 12'. I had plants ready to go in so I went a head and planted them.

Basil
Thyme
Oregano (some new and some old that I just moved in the bed)
Chives
Marjoram
Sage.

Then I planted seed :
Dill
Parsley
Lavendar.

Can you direct plant lavendar? I wasn't sure but thought I would give it a try.
I also have lemon basil and garlic chives that I am hardening to plant. I will probably wait until after Monday now because it is going to bet really cold on Monday night. They are calling for 28 degrees. When I planted them they were calling for 38 so I thought ok, no worries. Now I have to come up with a plan or I will loose my basil and marjoram. :fl

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cover them up! Get your sheets ready! Sounds like a wonderful herb garden! I notice many of the weeds around here, didn't die during the "winter". Going to be a year for weeding! Happy Gardening!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Teresa, I have planted all of those from seed but done that in the greenhouse, with the exception of the dill. So, altho' I've sown lavender seed, it wasn't outdoors. I'd think it should work fine.

Yes, you'd better really protect that basil, especially. (I haven't even yet sown basil seed for plants to set out as transplants :/.)

The marjoram is an herb I've only grown once so it is an unknown for hardiness. Couldn't make it thru winter on the floor of an unheated greenhouse - know that :rolleyes:.

Steve

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Marjoram is a wimp when it comes to cold. Worse then basil. I am going to cover them but I am not sure with what.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Cover them up! Get your sheets ready! Sounds like a wonderful herb garden! I notice many of the weeds around here, didn't die during the "winter". Going to be a year for weeding! Happy Gardening!
I didn't think about the mild winter. That is probably why they are so many weeds. We had a record rain fall last year to make things worse.

Latest posts