Question about planting squash in same spot.

SouthernFarmer1984

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I know in the Squash family along with other family's you are not suppose to plant them in the same spot 2 years in a row give or take.My question is say I planted in Spring/Summer 2015 Watermelon,Cantaloupe,Summer Yellow/Green Squash and Cucumbers.Does that mean in the Fall 2015 I could not plant Winter Squash along with Pumpkins in the same spot?

Or could I plant squash plants there both in the spring/summer and in fall and then only plant them there again in Spring/Summer/Fall 2018?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are those on here that practice crop rotation and those who don't. I fall into the don't category, mainly because my garden space is so small that I have to plant what I can where I can. I have been planting tomatoes in the same spot for over 10 years because if I move them to another spot in the yard, they don't do as well.

If you have the room to rotate crops, then do so. If you don't, then do the best you can with what you have.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am like baymule. I only have one place where tomatoes get sun and get planted there every year. I do rotate my zuchini but only by planted it 4 ft over in the next bed. Since I only have about 4 small beds that are 4x4' veggies don't get rotated too far.

Mary

Latest posts