Range Wars. . first blood

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had two county deputies out today. The one I had verbal issues with on Thursday and a back up.

Son had spent part of the day moving more trees and logs out of the woods near the gully with the field tractor. After he stopped because of pending storms, he and DH walked down to see what was done and what was left to do.

While they talked, the neighbor and his wife stood watching them -- 5, 10, 15 minutes just staring as he always does when I move down there. Finally son looked his way and said, "What?"

The neighbors told him he didn't know where the boundary lines were. Son said he did. Neighbor said son had no part in this dispute. Son said this was his family so he did. The neighbors rather lost it and started swearing, shouting, waving their arms about. The Mrs. came down onto our property and took a photo of my DH and son. Mr. took a few steps closer and asked if son 'wanted to get it on'. Son never moved or stopped smiling (although he did say, "Sure"). Long story short, the confrontation ended as the neighbors both started walking away and the neighbor turned back and said, "442 Madison Street, huh? I'll be there."

That is my son's address, where he and my two grandchildren and DIL live. I agreed with DS that he was threatened so I called the Sheriff's office.

As expected, the neighbors had their own story line. They felt threatened by son saying 'what' to them. All the swearing, verbal exchanges, and threats were mutually hurled. The police will do nothing and told son to call his city police if he sees neighbor or vehicle around his home.

Son thought the photo was taken to "prove" that he and dad were trespassing. The thought occurred to me that if they wanted someone else to 'get even' with my son a photo would help an assailant identify the right guy.

Now I am scared! I think the guy is unstable. Since he still does not believe where the disputed land was, he has no idea where the ruling placed the boundary. I'm afraid the surveyor could be harmed when the Bs see how much land they are losing. (Not losing since they never had it, but well, you know.) They do have weapons. Another "Good Neighbor" experience was the many times they took target practice in the gully. The law says no closer than 100 feet from a house or boundary. Every time, they were on our land shooting into our land and I refused to report them as son wanted. Now I wish!

Okay, no real blood. But this is going way too far. And again the officers told US to stay away from that part of land because we were trying to accelerate confrontation by being down there. Not in the disputed land, no, we're supposed to stay away from each and every part of land that the neighbors claim as their or we're somehow at fault. My God! I don't even know what all they imagined was theirs other than it seems to be everything they could see from their bedroom window.

I know where they live. . . . . anybody?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It might just be cage rattling on their part in an effort to intimidate you and your son.

It could be legit. I'd have makes, models, colors plates and anything distinguishing on their vehicles so family knows what to look for. That's nothing to take lightly.

I would see about getting a copy of reports that have been filed so if something foes happen he can show to the officers where he lives proof of the dispute and how it's escalated.

I would also notify the survey people that it is a hostile situation so they can do what they feel necessary for their own safety. After that I wouldn't be alone out there.

The officer who told you to stay away is probably trying not to have you upset them and set the neighbors off. Unless it's vitally important work I'd just leave the projects till the surveyor shows up and you go from there.

Even then I wouldn't be near that property line alone and without the means to protect myself.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have any advice for you, Red, but I just want you to know I'll be thinking of you. Please be careful. @Jared77 gave some good advice.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What Jared said! You need to get a better police man. Your son and family have been threatened by this lunatic. Now it's your turn to make a BIG DEAL out of this. Get a video NOW. get several cameras. Be a good idea for the surveyors to have video running while they do their job and make sure Loony Lucy knows it.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
What Jared said! You need to get a better police man. . . .

This was the policeman who was "discussed" yesterday with his superior via my phone call because of his attitude during his first visit. I was surprised that they sent him here again. This time they did send back up. The second officer stayed in the rear and said nothing. Could have been his supervisor watching the interaction this time?

At any rate, the officer declared the event a 'wash' so nothing was done. I am left scared.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's the neighbors intent. He wants to keep you afraid there. The officers are trying to buy time till they redraw the lines. Just keep your head on a swivel, and don't do anything you know will provoke him till the lines are drawn.

Then you have a serious case because it's black and white. This is yours, that's theirs. Then they can easily decide fault and handle it that way.

Yes it's awful. Feel free to vent, or spill, or ask for help. We're here for you.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:th What on earth is wrong with these people? I agree, don't mow or do any work down there until the lines are marked (and keep an eye out for these yahoos to try to move the stakes too, undoubtedly...I have seen that happen before). Are you planning to put up a fence of any kind to keep them on their side? I think a couple of game cameras would be a good investment. Some can even send pics to your computer remotely, or get the kind you pull out the memory card and download it if you think you can access them safely. If any altercations occur, there's your proof, since they are motion sensitive. They're not too expensive for a good one. This one is on my wishlist for DH for Christmas, for example.

How did they know your son's address? I'll be praying for your family's safety. They may not necessarily be off their rockers, but it's amazing how blood can boil over things like this. I've had bad neighbors get my goat before a few years ago with their aggressive dogs. SO glad they moved before I lost my cool. Heck, I'll be praying they move!

So sorry you have had to deal with this! Vent as needed. We are here for you. :hugs

ETA: I think it is no shooting firearms within 500 feet of a residence. At least it is here. Most hunting rifles can shoot several hundred yards.

Latest posts