Ready to Embrace that New Technology?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of this (most?) of the film footage (do we still call it that?) is from 1997.

Okay, 18 years.

Would you like to see what was about 18 years prior to that?

2u76mx1.png

digitS'

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my first computer was a Texas Instrument TI-99/4a. only used it for learning games since i was only about 6 i think when we got it. mom & dad must have gotten it for a steal since they discontinued it in 1983 and i think we got it sometime in 1984. seems those sold for around $525 brand new. my next PC was and IBM Aptiva A which if i remember what my parents told me cost about $3k in 1995! i've since moved onto my 3rd laptop and now have a tablet that i use on occasion to keep my gardening stuff and use for reading & researching (and the occasional surfing TEG) :love

now, if you counted my dh, he has an old IBM ThinkPad we found while cleaning out the house we inherited, he's got his current laptop and his Dell desktop that is still working after 12 years of use, epoxying parts back that have broken when switching out hard drives and upgrading components. then we have a friend with good intentions who thinks my dh likes project PCs and delivers to us 'giant paperweights' to kick around the house. :somad

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Should I have identified the guy in the picture? That's Bill Gates.

My first computer wasn't until sometime in the 90's. DOS and it was a cast-off from a daughter of a friend. She had just graduated from college, married a rich guy, and moved out of the country ... The mom hadn't a clue how to use a computer.

I was nearly in the same boat. My only experience was using them for word processing when I went back to school about 10 years earlier. That computer was owned by the university. I had brought my electric typewriter from home but it was sure nice to not retype pages, again & again ...

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
On this day in 1922,

President Warren G. Harding ..

. had a radio installed in the White House.

digitS'
whose father was born 4 years prior to that

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our first computer was back in 1995. Our four year old son knew how to work it, especially the reader "game" I bought for it. We stood behind him, watching him run the game, amazed at this machine.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daughter had better equipment than me, and still does. She got a $4500 Apple laptop with all the bells and whistles when she was 14, I got a $400 used desktop. She was and became a whiz, now teaches media at a Jr college. I have a really nice brand new laptop on the dresser, but I still keep using this old one (5 years old).

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was in High school my best friend was into a tv series Dynasty. Her biggest fear was one night missing it. VCR had just come out,she spent $900 for one at sears. A outrages amout for a high school student. To this day I still tease her about it.

Latest posts