Redneck Greenhouse!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Three years ago, I had some real nice bannana pepper plants and Fall was falling. I sure hated to lose them to frost, so I wheeled the homemade bar-b-que pit (made from the tank of a water heater) next to the pepper plants. Then I drove rebar stakes in the ground. Over this I draped an over aboudance of plastic and held down the edges with bricks. I clipped one of those aluminum auto lights on the handle of the bar-b-que pit and I was in business! DH objected strongly to the eyesore in the front yard and made fun of my contraption. But......he liked having his bannana peppers until the temps dropped in the low 20's and the puny lightbulb wasn't warm enough and the plants all froze. :(

The next year, I bought PVC pipe, fittings and glue. I sprawled out in the driveway and quickly figured out how to glue it all together the wrong way. :D Oh, and once you glue 2 pieces together, it is instant set, no twisting it to a better position. You get one shot at it. Sigh........toss another one in the scrap pile. Then I also figured out that I didn't have the right fittings for a topline pipe to make a peaked roof. No problem, I just ran two pipes at the top, kinda alongside each other. I was very proud of my rickety makeshift frame.

My husband is a good sport about my ideas and he helped me set it up. He pounded long rebar stakes in the dirt and we lifted the frame up, centered the hollow pipe, and set the PVC frame on the stakes. This was to keep it from blowing away. Then several hours and a lot of duct tape later, we had it wrapped in plastic. I ran an outdoor extension cord to it and put a small electric heater inside. On freezing nights, I flipped the switch and our redneck greenhouse stayed nice and cozy. We had fresh tomatoes all winter. Once a week, we lifted up the plastic and picked ripe tomatoes and green ones too. Then we had a plate of fried green tomatoes and ate sliced ripe tomatoes all week.

Last year we had a record breaking drought and over 2 months of 100+ degree temps. The garden was a bust, so I didn't even try the greenhouse.

This year has been a good garden year. The frame stays up all year, we just take the plastic off. I have 3 bell peppers planted inside the frame, a red, a yellow and an orange one. I love the colors. I also planted 15 tomato plants in the frame. Sunday afternoon, DH and I wrapped it in plastic, leaving the ends open for now. When it gets close to freezing, we'll close off the ends with more plastic.....and what else? More duct tape!! :lol: It is in the front yard, right next to the front door!

This is my DH proudly standing next to our redneck greenhouse.

7949_greenhouse_and_bj.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks great baymule!! ;)

Hey as long as it keeps the plant from getting frost that's all that matters. Who needs professionally made greenhouses! :lol: this works just as well, maybe better. Plus it sure saves money from having to order one. I've always liked being able to build one instead of buying one.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yours is certainly better looking than the first mini-greenhouse I set up!

I used black fabric on the soil and built the top and sides with PVC covered Vis-screen (heavy construction plastic). In late January, I could lay out in the set-up with temps nearing 80 degrees (F) while snow blanketed the rest of the garden. Never tried to find out where the nighttime temps ran and didn't plant anything until late February.

Love, Smart Red

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a nice green house Baymule, quit pickin on it! I'm sort of jealous that you're eating tomatoes all year, and tried to think of something that could make you jealous, but all I came up with is: well I'll be shoveling snow when you're picking tomatoes! So there! :lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
you know, the most important thing is... it works! :)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hay BayMule!

If ya'll get 5 crate loads of duct tape wholesale,
and a 52' long truckload of plastic and pvc, plus a crate or 2 of that purple glue and purple preacetoney stuff,

you could go into business selling those units!!!

Charge extra for the heaters, come up with DEELUX units with fancy energy saving heaters, makem bigger and smaller.
Some with different angles on the roof...
...some with gabled roofs with shelving...

Or you could make the SUPER DEELUX version heated with a dual purpose
STILL in it!!!

I really love that greenhouse you made!