Regrets: wish I'd never planted that.....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me it's 3 plants.

blooming plum tree --don't know real name, I traded for it as it was suppose to be a bearing plum, but it sends new seedlings from the roots everywhere.

Trumpet vine--same problem as plum tree.

Some perennial plant with blue flowers, it has quickly become a nightmare. LONG tap root and sends seeds everywhere.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
They'll grow great and be beautiful curly kate. Just make sure you harvest the seed heads.

Oh yes, the closer together amaranth plants are, the much shorter they grow. At a foot apart they'll be almost to the variety's full size. You can therefore sort of control their height by spacing.

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I guess if you give the seed heads to the chickens and NEVER use the manure in your garden you might survive the attack of the amaranths!

I did evening primrose, too. My husband hates it because it is always eaten up by Japanese beetles. However, we read that it is more attractive to them than the scent traps. I leave a selection of them away from the plants I want to protect from the beetles, and the primrose lures them away. The silver lining in the cloud?

As to mint, make mojitos! They like disturbed ground, like bamboo, so they travel less if you put them in an isolated spot rather than in an herb bed, as mine are. Every spring, I pull up yards of sprouts -- but that does it for the year. I use the mint and that keeps it in bounds!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Comfrey really and truly makes one of the best compost materials!

The comfrey plant picks up Potassium from deep down and holds it. I actually met Bill Bruneau who wrote a small book about it. He grows it specifically just mostly for compost material. It also ashes down with potassium.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes but it reproduces in so many ways and with out bounds.
marshallsmyth said:
Comfrey really and truly makes one of the best compost materials!

The comfrey plant picks up Potassium from deep down and holds it. I actually met Bill Bruneau who wrote a small book about it. He grows it specifically just mostly for compost material. It also ashes down with potassium.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
One time, oh, decades ago, I had to declare bindweed wars

Sounds like time for Comfrey wars over there. Then hot compost them. Big pile of grass clippings under them, bigger pile of grass clippings over them. Keep slightly moist. Keep combustibles away! Then make a normal compost pile with this stuff and other stuff all mixed

If ya suspect the compost wasn't hot enough, ash the comfrey for the garden.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have been at war with them for several years. I have used the leaves for compost and fed the plants to chickens and horses.The biggest problem is if you till a plant every tiny bit of root becomes another plant. And then of course there is the self sowing that it does freely. We are winning but it will never be completely vanquished.
marshallsmyth said:
One time, oh, decades ago, I had to declare bindweed wars

Sounds like time for Comfrey wars over there. Then hot compost them. Big pile of grass clippings under them, bigger pile of grass clippings over them. Keep slightly moist. Keep combustibles away! Then make a normal compost pile with this stuff and other stuff all mixed

If ya suspect the compost wasn't hot enough, ash the comfrey for the garden.

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
ginger lilly

smells good but its MULTIPLIES like crazy.....good thing the first bulb was free...........i have atleast 75 in a matter of 3 years

Latest posts