Regrets: wish I'd never planted that.....

bluelacedredhead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Tomatillos. Granddaughter loved the Salsa but I told her next time she wants Salsa Verde she best go shopping for it. All those little pods...billions of seeds....I planted a 50 foot row of plants. We've since sold the farm, I bet those things have taken over the entire 50 acres by now, LOL

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It took a while but we bested the tomatillos. Their similarity to a poisonous solanum weed/nightshade that grows here was a big inspiration.

I planted Japaniese honeysuckle because I loved the scent..... I'm ready to use the tractor to rip out the roots but I'm worried that the fence posts will go before the honeysuckle. There should be an outside spray that smells like honeysuckle so none of us are ever tempted. But, I do remember sharing with my young son how to nip the tip of the flower and pull the stamen back to get that sweet drop of nectar. Twenty years later, I'd say sharing that with my son was well worth the aggravation today!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lamium ( dead nettle ). I was delighted with it 7 years ago and bought 4 different kinds. These days it grows where it never got planted, and smothers the slower emerging perennials in the spring. I yank it out by the wheel barrow full, not to eradicate it, because it is pretty, but to keep it humble.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bridal Wreath. A small twig when I planted it, now it has taken over the entire east side of the house and requires the pruners to cut it back a bit. I think we are going to have to get a tractor to pull the darn thing out. And it only blooms for about a week out of the year!
Thistlebloom, I am surprised about the dead nettle. Mine barely grew, then I think I accidentally killed it by tossing ice water on it.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't actually plant it on purpose. As a kid I tried to grow catnip inside.... it never worked... so the seeds went outside in the compost. To this very day, to be darned, those pesky cat nip plants are a total plague. EVERYWHERE... not even the cats notice them anymore.

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
I have about 8 million seedlings in the garden for amaranth...The elephant head type, not the love lies bleeding (which I really like and never reseeds....) My biggest regret is that little pot of mint, I brought from my Mom's garden. I was just tonight, wondering why mint hasn't taken over the planet. If the chickens would eat it, I could save thousand on feed!
Teresa wanted to plant mint a couple of years ago so she took over one of the 8X4 boxes and put it in two corners and then planted some other things in the middle. It was her herb garden. Within a few weeks it seems like everything in the box was smothered out and mint was hanging out everywhere. It it had not been in the box I hate to think where it would have gone. It reminded me of that old movie The Creep Show where Steven King starred as this country bumpkin who finds a meteorite on his property and touches the green goo only to start spreading a green vegetative cover like kudzu everywhere until it overwhelms the planet. I do believe mint and kudzu are alien cousins bent on overtaking the planet... I tried digging it out but unless you get every last shred of root it'll only come back. I don't use chemicals so I used the next best thing: My Red Dragon FlameThrower to the rescue. I sometimes still see a whisp here and there coming out of the box but the Red Dragon lights it up and it's gone.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Vinca... it wasnt to take over the world...as a ground cover it is lovely but after a while it'll creep into places it is not welcomed...and yes I agree primrose can be invasive but I love them anyway just have to be careful to keep it under control... oregano....I started it from seed one year...planted it into my veggie garden and it went to seed...I have moved it to it's own bed up under a window in the southern exposure...it is happy there but guess what I found in the veggie garden this year...yep 10 years later oregano...one small clump....

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
A lot of times, when plant breeders are improving a plant for domestic use, they are working to make it less invasive or less vigorous, less spreading, or less reproductive.

Latest posts