Regrets: wish I'd never planted that.....

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yeah, that makes perfect sense marshall! Because if the plant actually had actually been created under good stewardship, it would technically be a weed and therefore not good. People seem to have this thing against seeing lots of one type of plant in a garden. :/

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bishops Beard....
This stuff seemed so sweet for those outlying areas in shadier local....it loves sun too and it spreads by ryzomes! (maybe that's with an i)

Anyway, it's here to stay. And here to spread. And here to be despised.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love how you guys posted this... where has this thread been all my life! WHOOHOOO!!! It's like a red light warning system for gardeners. :cool:

I have 2 things I should have red flagged....

Raspberries.... they are coming up all through my garden even though I planted them in a bed outside my garden... and there are like 20 plants that we have to keep mowing popping up in the lawn as well.

Coneflowers... same thing. The birds have spread them everywhere through the lawn. I planted 10-20 of them by the pond where I wanted the mess of them to grow, those died and never came back. The irony!!!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, coneflowers. I just dug up a bunch of clumps and put them by my driveway with a "FREE" sign. I can get rid of pretty much anything that way.

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I forgot about sea oat grass. In many fishing trips to the Outer Banks of NC, I'd always loved the beautiful seed heads gently blowing in the ocean breezes, the tassels glowing silvery against the sky. Then I bought the stuff, multiple times. The seeds packets I picked up in tourist trap gift shops never took, and I eventually bought a plant somewhere in NC.

I can attest that the seed heads are not as attractive in the relative calm of my gardens in the middle of the woods. They spread like wildfire, creating a wirey mat of roots that chokes out my beloved beebalm and anything else it encounters. They are tricky too! My husband will pull and pull the sprouts, but they break off easily from the root mass, so he really is amazed to find new sprouts back, just as thick (if not more), a day or two later.

Use one of those weed-devils that you twist to weed -- the root mass is so tough the twisting motion rips them and every other thing in a 6" circle (more beebalm gone...) but it curtails the growth for a few weeks. I guess if I could get every millimeter of root segment from the ground, that would be the end of it, maybe not.

A friend who is a horticulturist, now retired from Burpee, said it would not be as aggressive in shade. I moved the main masses to a shady bed, and it has behaved in a more gentlemanly manner, but then it has only been there a couple of years -- it may be saving up its strength to wipe out the entire forest land acreage of Sussex county.

I continue to pull roots from its previous bed, though there are only a few thousand shoots of the grass this spring. Wish my hellebores were as prolific!

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
And, I really love coneheads. I just saw the movie this weekend and think Dan Akroyd was cheated out of an Oscar!

As to raspberries, they are weenies compared to wineberries.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
What's a Wineberry?

heading off to Wikipedia...

Oh, and Raspberries coming up in the lawn? Yea, remove that nuisance of a lawn! It's getting in the way of the Raspberries!

:lol:

ijon

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Horseradish it will take over. Plus the roots will go to China, so they are hard to dig out.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
What's a Wineberry?

heading off to Wikipedia...

Oh, and Raspberries coming up in the lawn? Yea, remove that nuisance of a lawn! It's getting in the way of the Raspberries!

:lol:
I've been screaming that at my husband forever! Get RID of the lawn, YUCK!

But no... the kids like to come on holidays and birthdays and they need lawn for football, soccer, ect....

I have managed to take over more of the yard with garden this year by 100's of square feet though. So I'm winning the battle.

Another nuisance plant.... GRASS!!!

Latest posts