Regrets: wish I'd never planted that.....

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wineberries are similar in taste to raspberries but they do not have seeds in the berries, don 't crush as easily as raspberries, and they grow in clusters, so they are easier to pick -- you just grab on (gingerly, as they are very thorny) and pull of several at one time. My neighbor gave me sprouts from her bed, which is doing a great job of eliminating her grass lawn, as it has spread to about 24' x 24'. They mow a path through the center and pick the boundaries. They freeze 50 - 60 quarts a year.

I hadn't had great luck with raspberries, so wineberries seemed like a good idea. But last year I put in a new raspberry bed and it is looking fabulous...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, from my reading, it sounds like Wineberry is really invasive. Makes me think twice about trying to find some for my zone 6 property. The birds around here would spread the seeds like crazy!

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It is considered invasive in some areas.

My hubby is talking about ripping it up -- it is moving in on our blueberries despite being in raised beds. I will make a decision once I see the harvest.

BTW, just planted cane -- a bamboo relative. Need some privacy in an outside shower area. Am I going to regret this?

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Privacy never works in a windstorm???? What is that supposed to mean???

Glad someone posted about horseradish. I took a closer look and saw that it was more invasive than mint!
Dug mine up and pot them in a big container to save the rest of my herb bed.

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yarrow comes to mind. I planted several varieties years ago, and they persist. The difference between other weeds and yarrow is that yarrow has a dense root mat and it is very hard to eradicate.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I second the yarrow misgivings. It's even in the lawn now. Supposedly the improved cultivars are not invasive, but that's what I had planted, and it must have reverted or something because what's coming up now isn't the pretty color I planted, and it's not the wild white variety, which actually seems much less persistent.

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Same here -- I planted Pink Yarrow but now all is whitish. But, it is invasive.

I took a dozen or so horseradish plants in to work today, properly warning all that it would spread like crazy.... But I still had takers from horseradish lovers. Ah, how easily we get suckered in, even when we know the risks, with that dream that we will beat the odds!

I watched the hummingbirds working the honeysuckle this evening. Maybe I can keep it under control but let it go a little longer...... Plus, I know I'll never eradicate it anyway. I do love hummingbirds.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
So lucky, I wouldn't worry. I have pink and yellow yarrow and it hasn't spread in several years. Some plants that are invasive to some, others can barely grow!

Mary

Latest posts