Ripoff ?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last Sat. my wife bought 18 egg carton of free range, large , AA eggs at Costco for $ 2.49 ... Yesterday we talked to some friends that said that in Portland, Ore. " organic store " , organic eggs are selling for $5.29 per dozen. Another friend that buys from a CSA said that their organic eggs are sold for $ 6.99 / doz. :ep WHY ??? Does the word organic mean an automatic MUCH HIGHER PRICE ??? :barnie :idunno

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
About $7.00 is an insane price for eggs. It is kind of hard for the small (especially organic) farmers to sell through convenience stores like that due to the larger farmers being dominate in that area, so that might account for the price. They should really be selling those eggs at a more local scale, but I guess if they did that though they wouldn't be able to make organic available to everybody.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I guess all their feed has to be certified organic, too. I haven't priced organic chicken feed, but I bet it is expensive. But 6.99 per dozen sounds pretty high.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just bought some organic feed for $27.99, 50lb bag. Haven't done the math to see what you would have to sell eggs for to break even.
Maybe some math wizard here can tell me. I'm curious.

Mary