rosemary, the shrub....

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HotPepperQueen said:
I am so jealous of all this rosemary talk! My rosemary is no where near a bush. Maybe a small houseplant? I'm lucky if I get 8 stalks off of it :lol:
Lucky for you a little rosemary goes a long way. ;) PM me with your address any time you need some fresh sprigs. It ships easily and doesn't wilt. It grows here year round and seems to do best when it is ignored.As a matter of fact it needs a good trimming right now. It's taking over a corner of my garden.
Don't feel bad though. I envy your ability to grow blueberries and currants. They are all but impossible here.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I LOVE rosemary. I use it a lot in cooking, with lamb, chicken, potatoes, all kinds of stuff. We get a little cold for it but I found planting it behind one of my recycled water troughs it has enough protection to do just fine. Good thing, cuz I got lots of lamb in the freezer! :love

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder how much cold rosemary can take? Mine overwintered last year in the garden just fine, but we didn't have much winter. I like the idea of using it for a hedge, too. I love to smell it, grow it, use the oil in diffusor, etc. But I don't care for the taste. :/

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have tried to overwinter rosemary here. It never survives. I am resigned to buying a new plant every spring. I even tried bringing one on the house and putting it in a southern facing window. It died too. I would love to have some advice on that. I love rosemary.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can cut it back lots and lots, however, remember that the main leader will get very thick. You can always prune it back very hard and let all the base shoots come up. Dry your clippings for food or leave a sprig in your car to dry out before tossing. It is a fabulous deodorizer.:D

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
I have tried to overwinter rosemary here. It never survives. I am resigned to buying a new plant every spring. I even tried bringing one on the house and putting it in a southern facing window. It died too. I would love to have some advice on that. I love rosemary.
Montyj, you shouldn't have any colder winters where you live than where I live, I'm thinking. I have had the same rosemary plant for about 4 years. When you buy, just get the most common kind, which may be the most hardy. Could you protect it in winter with leaves packed in around it; maybe a loose cover?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine loves the snow. It gets all bent if there's any weight, but then jumps right up again and looks even better afterwards.

Here's Rosemary (the statue) with rosemary (the shrub) behind.
8721_dscf1171.jpg

edited to add: I actually got several clippings to root in the kitchen window over the last few weeks. They seem to take a while to really get going as a big plant so I've got to find somewhere to start them for a while.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Montyj, you shouldn't have any colder winters where you live than where I live, I'm thinking. I have had the same rosemary plant for about 4 years. When you buy, just get the most common kind, which may be the most hardy. Could you protect it in winter with leaves packed in around it; maybe a loose cover?
Thanks. Maybe I'll try a different bed. I did pack leaves around it and covered it with burlap. I'm thinking maybe the raised bed was a bad idea as it let the soil freeze too deep/hard around the roots. I'll give it another go this year.

Latest posts