Should my garlic be up?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been out there scanning the bed every day looking for something to poke it;s little head up, but so far, nothing.
This is my first time growing garlic. The soil in that bed was about 47 degrees...

It's just store bought from the produce section so I have no idea what kind it is.

I was kind of anticipating great things here.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I dont know about store bought garlic sometimes they are soft neck and other times they are stiffnecked...I bought the garlic from a greenhouse to plant last fall...and my garlic is up I am in zone 4

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle..I know we are in completely different zones, but I bought some organic garlic at the grocery store, planted it in October and it sprouted in about 2 weeks. It seems to me that if you plant garlic at the right time, it should sprout fairly quickly. I would guess my soil temperature was close to yours.

Mary

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think this is a question for Steve , you are near his neck of the woods. Mine has been up for a while but I don't know what your climate has been.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine's up, thistle. I planted 3 different kinds last fall, one bulb was from the grocery, and that one had the least sprouts coming up, but they're up a couple inches. It is a nice warm bed that got free of snow very early.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh rats! Since Heathers and Collectors are up mine are probably going to be a no show. I planted them in October, but I didn't mulch the bed. I figured we had a good snow cover all winter, so I felt safe. I think I'll poke around in there tomorrow and see what I find.

Thanks guys!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Darn! I haven't removed the straw, yet- first job on the list this weekend... but I can see the garlic is at least 6 inches tall. Try again in the fall- it is really super easy to grow. I will be happy to send you a few of mine to plant. Your winter lasted a lot longer than mine, so maybe it is too early to give up hope?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We mulched ours with straw, maybe that helped us. Let us know what you find out there, maybe it just taking it's time!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i didn't harvest mine last year and they came back and have sprouted up to about 5" already. then one of my hens nibbled the greens back down to about an inch. :rolleyes: but we've had some crazy weather here in NH the past month.

Latest posts