show off your greenhouse/hoop house/tunnel/cold frame!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was thinking we should have a section to show off the greenhouses, hoop houses, high or low tunnels, or even cold frames used to help get our gardens growing and going! sort of like how BYC has their show off your coop and designs section! i know i've seen some really neat home designed/recycled greenhouses on here and the internet. but it would be nice for people visiting to help them get ideas of how easy some can be to put together.

i don't yet have mine up since the weather has been lousy most of last week. i'm hoping this week i will be able to get it all up and covered. it's just going to be a simple PVC pipe hoop covered with plastic to help get me started for this year. i have some of the plastic panels for making a better one when i have more time and someone better able to help me, and probably a few more trees cleared out. probably will be a summer project. i'll also be making a few low tunnels with all the steel pipes that are left in the basement from my FIL that he seemed to have stockpiled during the years he used to be an electrician.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
build my redneck quickie greenhouse for under $100

front view

side view

back view..notice the vent works great when the door is open and there is a breeze.

1500 watt heater, just enough to keep it 60 inside.

using a old plant display stand to hold this years children

everything is screwed together for easy removal .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
greenhouse.jpg

Twenty year old greenhouse (sunshed), 9' by 20'.

4989_004.jpg

Temporary tunnel (late in its season & with trays of plants across its center path), 8' by 20'.

New (unfinished) shed-attached hoop house, 8' by 16'.

Exterior of shed.

digitS'

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
thanks Cane. guess by now you know i took the idea from your 'how to' thread! :p just thought it would be a great idea to have everyone's greenhouses in one spot for anyone who needs ideas of what can be thrown together either in a short amount of time, or something meant to last for a long time!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's a few pics of mine last year...the plastic goes on and off every year, and i have not allowed myself to put it up this year. I'm finishing up my degree, and have a huge national exam to become registered to take xrays in 3 weeks. So...no fun distractions like starting plants or getting the greenhouse together until after May 7. Actually, i'll probably skip the plastic all together this year...doesnt seem worth it for only a few extra weeks. Anyway, on to the pics:

8229_001.jpg

The inside, i dont have any good ones to see the construction, its just cobbled together left over bits. The metal grating is 8' tall sections of display grid from the sports store my husband works at, held together by wood and circular clamps. You can see in this pic i roll the ends up and bungee for ventilation.

8229_greenhouse4.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is not our greenhouse. We only have a bench in basement with grow lights and two of those cheapy metal frames with plastic covers for the deck. This is what my 86 year old father made from scrap and recycled odds and ends! Not wanting to have to get a building permit he did not put a door from garage to greenhouse! He used the windows kept when they got replacement windows, some siding and fiberglass left from another project. Some lumber from another project ( had to buy a few boards.) Small space heater and fan. A few buckets and bar stools (Yep he and my bro will sit in there on chilly days when it gets to 80 and pretend it is nice out and sip their refreshments.) ;)
8098_dads_greenhouse_back.jpg

The greenhouse from the back.
8098_dads_greenhouse_side.jpg

The greenhouse from the side.
8098_dads_greenhouse_inside.jpg

Inside from the door. (Whiskey bottle out of sight! )

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
looks nice even for a small space to get things going!

i really miss having a greenhouse. especially when i own 2 cats that think i'm growing those little green things for them to walk across and munch on. :(