smoked chicken wing basket

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
who doesn't like a good wing.. deep dried, baked ....mild to butt burning.

during the thanksgiving meat smoking, sat outside and thought about how to do chicken wings in the smoker without taking a ton of room while cooking other meats and mess of them at once without lifting the lid a million times.......thank god for beer...

well dah use grilling baskets, but wait the handles are to long... we went to wally world found the baskets
who'd and hawed at them, yup even took a tape measure with me. so that they would fit,bingo prefect.
heck and they where on sale...2.59 each

took them to work cut off 6-8" of the handles and welding them back on.. switched the mig welder from steel and tri-mix gas to stainless steel and helium..this way it will not rust at the welds...

these little babys will fit from the little wings to the party ones...
DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

so looking forward to Christmas day to try them out....

have been informed that everyone wants a repeat from thanksgiving. turkey and boston butt, prime rib was shoot down, not saying will not get a half rib to do anyway as long there is room for my wings.

can taste the smell of hickory smoked wings already ......yum

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
WOW, wings in a basket, seems sort of a waste for something that should ONLY be deep fried!!!

THANX RICH

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW, wings in a basket, seems sort of a waste for something that should ONLY be deep fried!!!

THANX RICH

have been reading up on doing them, dang theres a millions way of doing them.. all the smoker forums that i belong too say, smoke them first and then to crisp up the skin either grill or fry them, then add your sauce. being a traditional sauce person will start with that.
crystal Louisiana hot sauce and clarified butter.....and for dipping either ranch or blue cheese dressing.

did tell dw once we drop off the truck for some work, we would hit food lion and pick up a couple packs to try out.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, we were visiting friends ... the TV was on and there was a commercial for an "air frier " .We didn't hear any of the details but we thought that it was an interesting idea. What about the taste ? Anyone hear of this gadget ?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
major -- my wife's new gas range has convection ovens... one is a very large one and the other side by side one is only like 10" wide. Is that what they are refering to as the " air fryer" ?

Last edited:

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My sister got one and they love it. Know nothing about them personally.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
major -- my wife's new gas range has convection ovens... one is a very large one and the other side by side one is only like 1" wide. Is that what they are refering to as the " air fryer" ?

yes convection oven and air fryer basically equals a heat source and a fan to cook your food..
would love to have a full size convection oven here....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
dropped off the truck this morning, down to tractor supply for propane and a collar for nola, stopped off at food lion to pick up chicken wings and wood chips not a wing fresh or frozen to be had...but had a good chuckle you remember those monster frozen turkeys..
food-l2-jpg.17393

well while walking by this morning they are down to 6 of them and 3 butterballs all over 21 lbs
birds.JPG

drove back to bi-rite of course they had chicken wings.... be smoking them up tomorrow.

Latest posts