Snap Peas

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm just starting to get some peas ready to harvest on these vines. That's kaailan (chinese brocoli) in the foreground.
6858_pea_vines.jpg

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Very nice! They look great! Are you able to get them to produce for you all year round?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can have them till late Spring, then they begin to poop out and mildew. I'll replace them with either pole beans or cukes when the weather warms. I could have had a couple more months of harvest had I planted in October but I was still in cardiac rehab at that time so I didn't have the energy.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, I planted snap peas in late summer, had poor germination, so planted green arrow in the bare spots. The peas eventually came up, and bloomed pretty well, for a long period of time, but I never got a single pea off those two kinds. You would think something would have pollinated just by accident! But, no. Eventually they froze. End of story. :/

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
You know, I planted snap peas in late summer, had poor germination, so planted green arrow in the bare spots. The peas eventually came up, and bloomed pretty well, for a long period of time, but I never got a single pea off those two kinds. You would think something would have pollinated just by accident! But, no. Eventually they froze. End of story. :/
Was it possible that it was too hot for those pea flowers to produce peas? That's the only way I can see the flowers not producing.

Hope this helps!

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am going to ATTEMPT to get peas in the ground this week.
I've never had good luck w/ peas, but I think I ALWAYS plant them too late.
At least I can shoot for a January planting date, and hope for the best!

Yours look SUPER, Hoodie!!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Snap pea vines have to be pretty big before they start producing much. They will bloom for several weeks before the blooms finally begin to set. On the other hand they will produce better than most peas in warm weather. In Oklahoma I planted in early Spring, even when there was still some frost. I used sugar snap there (the original variety) and was able to have them into quite warm weather.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure, Greenthumb. I think it was October by the time they were flowering. My garden notes say I planted them around Aug 18, whichever day the moon was right. I hadn't tried to grow peas in 30 years or so. Maybe I know why, now!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Snap pea vines have to be pretty big before they start producing much. They will bloom for several weeks before the blooms finally begin to set. On the other hand they will produce better than most peas in warm weather. In Oklahoma I planted in early Spring, even when there was still some frost. I used sugar snap there (the original variety) and was able to have them into quite warm weather.
I will just have to believe that mine were on the verge of producing, when a freeze got them. I didn't record the first big freeze date, so will give the peas the benefit of the doubt.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The ones I can never get a decent crop out of are the smooth seeded peas like Alaska that are dried like beans. I love my pea soup but I just can't seem to grow them.

Latest posts