soggy veggies

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I try to harvest greens and carrots, as I use them but if I have an abundance I clean them put in fridge and the next day they are flimsy and not very appealing any suggestions?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fresh veggies do not keep like the ones in the store. Either they treat them or more likely the varieties that are used keep long. Usually at the expense of flavor. When I pick extra carrots I cook them all and freeze the rest for winter. OI have good luck storing potties and carrots in hay and in a trash can. I keep them in a cool cellar. They would not keep well in the fridge.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My carrots store very well in the fridge, even for a couple of months. Don't ask how I know... But I found there are two very important things I have to do. One is cut the greens off and then put them in a zip top bag. The will last for a few days in an open container with the tops cut off, but do better bagged. For greens I wrap them in damp paper towels, then into a bag. But they will only keep for a few days. I've read to put them in a cup of water, like you would cut flowers. I haven't tried that, I don't have the room.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plastic bags help, @the1honeycomb.

There should be a study done. The vegetables are living plants or living plant tissue. They need air for respiration. However, refrigerated air dries them.

I looked at 2 cooperative extension websites on storing veggies. One said 35% humidity is "dry" storage; the other said 50%. Elsewhere, I see that refrigerators can go to 10%!

I also learned that crisper drawers are sometimes called "humidity" drawers.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can keep carrots in the fridge for months. I make sure they are dry, put them loosely in a plastic bag and add a few dry paper towels. I leave the bag open and put it in the crisper drawers. They can make it past the holidays, at least...If I pick extra basil, I just put in a glass with water and keep it on the counter. If you leave it for a few days, it will grow roots!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wash the greens, then put in large plastic bag, like a grocery store bag. It will keep for a couple of days. But if you have so many greens, wash them all, cook them all, take some out and bag for the freezer!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I separate the leaves of lettuce, etc. and wash them in the sink. Gently shake off the excess water, then lay them flat inside a gal. plastic ziploc bag with a couple of papertowels to absorb the moisture. They'll last about a week.

Carrots get their tops trimmed off closely, wash well, then they also go into a ziploc with a papertowel, except I leave one corner of the bag slightly open to breathe. Then they go into the crisper drawer. As long as they aren't too wet or too dry, they will last for months.

Reactions: Hal

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you notice, when you buy bagged veggies, the bags have air holes in them. If you have no other system, poke a few holes in the bag you are storing them in. Also, make sure they are dry. I use the paper towels in the bag method, too. Works for things like blueberries very well. (For those of us who don't have some convenient blueberry bushes)

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I separate the leaves of lettuce, etc. and wash them in the sink. Gently shake off the excess water, then lay them flat inside a gal. plastic ziploc bag with a couple of papertowels to absorb the moisture. They'll last about a week.

Carrots get their tops trimmed off closely, wash well, then they also go into a ziploc with a papertowel, except I leave one corner of the bag slightly open to breathe. Then they go into the crisper drawer. As long as they aren't too wet or too dry, they will last for months.

That is the important part, removing the tops as they continue to lose moisture through the leaves and have none coming via the roots anymore to replenish it.