Sticky Weed Identification - Worst Weed Ever (well, almost)

daisychick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oh and I was referring to the second picture of the spiky green thistle stuff! :/

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Poor nifty, Yes definitely Goosegrass!!! :barnie :barnie :barnie or as my old grandma called it Stickywilly :ep We have a lot of it over here in the UK -- my poor cat gets the velcro balls in her long hair when she goes hunting. As I don't use any chemical weedkillers because the chickens free-range I try to pull it out, cut it down or use my flame weeder (very carefully). GOOD LUCK to you, it's a tough thing to get rid of :duc :barnie :he

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm pretty much on the lookout for any new sprouts every day.

This only propagates via seed, right? Anybody know how long the seeds are viable in the ground?

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll keep on them as long as needed. What's a bummer is it just takes one hidden plant that goes to seed somewhere to keep everything going.

:(

havi

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have all three of these nasty things! :rant And if it weren't for the bur clover I wouldnt have any 'grass' in my backyard. When we bought this house there was nothing in the backyard. No grass, weeds, nothing. Just dirt. I bought a great pair of gloves that will handle those pesky spiky things. I just grab it as far down as I can and twist and pull. Im just trying to figure out a way to get rid of that nasty clover and replace it with grass. :hu

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm amazed at how well the wild oats keep all the other weeds down. Were it not for them, the empty lot behind out house would be a nightmare of thistles and thorns. It is just in the areas where we don't have wild oats, or where they have been killed that the other nasties come in.

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Uh oh... we used to get that thistle up in Idaho (or something very similar to it). I don't know what it's called. I only know it as "bad plant" because that's what I called it when I was really little! :gig

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
CURSES!!!

I just went outside and noticed these little buggers are growing again! I was able to get them all last year (RoundUP) before they went to seed and was really hoping that would have got them under control.

GRRR!!! :somad :barnie

Latest posts